Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EddiE314

ok, here are MY "The Sims" Problems. Help if you c

Okay, i had the sims installed on my dual cel 400@550 w/ 384mb ram (pc100) and 3 different vid cards (Voodoo3 2000, Riva TNT, Creative Banshee) and it would always hard lock right in the middle of the game, since then i sold my celerons and and getting ready to buy 2 500's or an Athlon 800 and mobo. I am NOW using a PII 333@375, 128MB ram(pc100) and a voodoo3 2000. I AM STILL GETTING HARD LOCKS! I swear to god i can't figure it out. i have tried everything. I don't know if its a driver issue or what, in the past i used the Det. 3.78 drivers for the TNT, beta hacked drivers for the banshee, and the supposed RETAIL drivers for the V3 (1.000.000 i think). I ruled out not having enough power with my crappy 250w PSU. I remember posting the faq's from www.thesims.com and i think it did help one person on here but it didn't help me. Here's my original setup and my present temporary one:

-----------

Original:

Dual Celeron 400@550

Abit BP6 mobo

384MB SDRAM PC100 Generic

8.4GB HDD IDE

Voodoo3 2000 PCI (retail 1.000.000 drivers)

*3D Blaster Banshee AGP (NT4 beta hacked drivers)

*Graphics Blaster Riva TNT (3.78 Drivers)

Creative 5x DVDROM IDE

4x/2x/24x CDRW Drive IDE

Internal Iomega ZIP 100

Realtek 10Base-T NIC PCI

Soundblaster AWE64 ISA

Phoebe 56k v90 Modem ISA

----------

Present Temp Setup

PII 333@375

Elite p6ba-a+ MObo (440lx chipset)

128 MB SDRAM PC100 Generic

8.4gb hdd IDE

voodoo3 2000 (retail 1.000.000)

" " " " (Same as above for the rest)

---

Oh, I have tried running the cpu's at the normal speed too and they are not getting too hot. Thanks.

I have close to the same config as you and it works fine for me, what other programs are you running at the same time?, does it lock up in other programs?, and try the Creative Drivers for win2k tnt. I use to have lockups in games with old 3.66 drivers but 3.78 worked fine for me, i just switched over to the creative ones.. everythings working fine.

Volitaire

A+, MCSE, MCP+I

I find that when running active desktop on my Athlon and Celery systems the game will crash back to desktop or will hardlock.

I turned that off and lowered the Hardware acceleration down a notch and I run that game all day long and no crashes.

Try that if you are using active desktop. Also try lowering that hardware acceleration in the display panel.

I hate active desktop, i never use it anyway, actually, Unreal Tourny and Q3A hardlock too, but GLQuake (1.09) works fine. I have the Voodoo3 in now, i'll download the creative drivers and install the TNT later, i hope that works, i was thinking of doing that anyway.

haha i installed the TNT and the creative drivers, it played for awhile, then it froze, i have no clue of what to do. It has to be a hardware problem though, i've done 3 installs of win2k and 2 installs of win98, in both it freezes, i took out any cards that i don't use or need, disconnected any devices that i could (cdrw and int. ZIP drive). I lower the clock speed of the GPU from 110 to 100MHz, closed any progs that weren't in use, lowered resolution, lowered refresh rates, blah blah blah.. Hmmm, what to do...what to do. F*ck it.

[This message has been edited by EddiE314 (edited 19 April 2000).]

If this is a abit BP6 I had the same problem with a tnt voodoo 3 and geforce.

I then changed the agp aperture to 16 mb and voila no lockups for 4 months.

my voodoo3 was pci, the banshee and the tnt are agp and the aperture size is 64mb