Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisX420

Can´t install Redr Alert!!!!

Hi,

everytime I try to install Red Alert I get get an error! The error does not say anything, it´s just an empty box!

please help

i've noticd the same problem, and I think it's just incompatible with 2k. Maybe if we post enought to WEstwood, they'll release a patch or something.

we'll have to copy CD to HD, but that's okay..

what? it does work if you copy the CD to HD? Well, you still have to install it to play the second Mission CD, or?

I was able to get it working, but first you have to install Win2k support tools off of the Win2k CD (/SUPPORT/TOOLS/SETUP.EXE).

One of the tools it installs is the 'Application Compatibility Tool' - run this. Then you just select the setup prog on the C&C disk in the win and select the following options:

Windows 95, Use pre-Windows 2000 Temp path

Then click 'OK'

Now this is where it locked up on me in my machine. I had to hit 'Ctrl-Alt-Del' and end the compatibility prog from the task monitor. Once I did that though, the setup for C&C continued to run and it installed normally. After that I haven't had any probs with the prog.

Have Fun

Are you logged in as an administrator?

There may have been other options that I had to enable in the compatibility tool. I installed it months ago, so I don't remember if I had to try other options. Try the 'Disable Heap Manager' option too.

Good Luck

anyone get the original one to work?

does the above work with the RA expansion packs?

Yep sure does - I have all the expansion packs up to Aftermath installed and they work just fine

I've installed both the Red Alert and the expansion packs - it all works. The only problem with it is in the installer - it checks the ver number of windows and stops the install. The game itself is perfectly compatible with Win2k, you just have to fool the installer to get it to load in.

ah well..still means I have to install 98 or ME, I want to play the originals..

lol

I think I may play RA in 2k thou..

i have installed redalert without the compatible tool.

i just put the cd in the cdrom drive and the installer popt up and the install didn`t give me any problems.

i am also working with win2k.

p.s i have noticed this: if you install win2k over youre win98 you might have a better change at getting games to run because some files won`t be overwritten bij win2k because they are already newer or have the same version number.

star trek hidden evil didn`t want to install either when i had a clean win2k installed but when i upgraded win98 to win2k and tried to install that game it worked and gave no problems.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisX420:
And how do I fool the installer???? I still have the RC2 release of Win2k.

With the Compatibility Tool as explained above.

Hey,

I already posted that I used that program, but it just won´t work, so I thought it might be a different program you were talking about.

I just tried this, and it didn't work for me..

I get the "Windows 5.0 is running, this program require win95 to run" type message.

anyone got clues what I might be doing wrong?

So I need ALL other programs closed for apcompat to work right?

[This message has been edited by Woodlet (edited 11 April 2000).]

Make sure that EVERYTHING is closed when you try and do this..

there's also something I had to ctrl-alt-del and get rid of in the system process to get it to work..

something starting with an E, and it was tabbed over as well.

I'm stil running into problems myself, as I can't get it to run once it's installed..

I get an MCVCRT.dll error about it being incompatible with win32s.

any Ideas?