Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
merkman

Halflife in W2K Adv. Server - No go with my V3 3500

Well... here's the drill. Installed Half-Life and tried to start the game. Asked for the CD Key, then basically just died without an error or anything. Just never started. Tried installing the latest patch from the Internet twice, but there was a "corrupted" file error both times.

Strange I thought, but I figured I'd start over. Uninstalled Half-Life AND the Sierra Utilities, rebooted, installed Half-Life, then tried to install Opposing Forces. When the update went to install... it failed. Again with a corrupted file error. Knowing the thing had installed fine in 98... that can't be true. So I uninstalled everything and gave up.

If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd love to hear it. But for the moment, I don't expect to play Counterstrike in W2K anytime soon. =(

System stats:

Dual Celeron 366's

128MB PC100 RAM (2 64MB Samsung (no ECC) sticks)

ABit BP6 w/ QQ-2 Bios (QQ was more stable, but this works ok)

Voodoo 3 3500TV Video Card

Xitel Storm Platinum Sound Card

Two UDMA/66 HD (1 WD, 1 Maxtor)

etc...

Thanks,

Merk

I don't have an answer to your problem, but I have a question. Why are you trying to play games with Win2k Advance Server. It is not designed to play games on. It is a Server!

You'll be lucky to find support. You've most obviously got a pirated version of Advanced Server, and probably a pirated version of Halflife too. Do you realize what advanced server is?? It's a server OS designed for BIG companies running internet sites on very fast computers with very fast internet connections capable of handling very heavy traffic. It's not meant for a piddley little gamer such as yourself. Of course, like most pirates, you've got to have the biggest and best of everything, but your ignorance has cost you this time. If you want to run games use Proffessional, although many dispute even its "gamer-friendlyness".

Sorry, didn't mean to flame yah, its just that i'm against software piracy and all, so I get annoyed.

Alright... I'm going to calm down, despite a bunch of people who DON'T KNOW ME shooting off their mouths. Ahhh... better all ready.

Now, I'm a Systems Administrator for a large company. How large? How about 200,000 people. Now, I have access to most OS's on the planet, through Beta programs, CPP's, etc. As a matter of fact, I ordered the CPP for my own use at home. I didn't use a Beta from the company, etc. So don't tell me I pirated, stole, or whatever terminology you use. You don't have a clue what your talking about.

Why do I have advanced server at home? Because I can't learn about all the new features of operating systems by running Professional. Anyone with a clue would realize this. And I want to better myself any chance I get rather than taking shots at people I don't know... assuming they are pirating software just because it's expensive stuff.

God, way off topic... to those that aren't the two rocket scientists above... sorry.

Point is, I wanted to run Halflife on W2K. And I don't see why the game would run on Professional and NOT Advanced Server. Does Advanced Server have a lot of features Professional doesn't? YES! But are the operating systems basically the same? YES! So should the same software run on both? YES!

Excuse me if besides continuing my computer education, I also like to have fun on my system. I bought the parts, put it together, and I'll do whatever I damn well please on it! Thank you very much.

Don't understand why I couldn't get help, and instead felt the need to defend myself. God!

I wasn't flaming you at all! All I was asking was why you were doing it. Seems you need an attitude adjustment. Not all of us are *******s and if you want treated in a decent manner than grow up and not act like a child when you reply back to people. I understand what you are saying and it is fine with me. I like to experiment too. So calm yourself down and watch what you write.

Well, I have to appologize to merkman. I shouldn't have assumed so much. I even thought this to myself as I wrote but the way he put it seemed so stereotypical of ignorant software pirates. Dredd, he wasn't talking like a child... infact he's quite well-spoken. Again, I appologize for what I said... I turned out to be the ignorant one.

I still do not see your logic in using Adv. Server for gaming however. Almost all the posts on here are regarding problems relating to win2k pro. I suppose that's because most people running Adv. Server is incredibly knowledgeable and does not require help from this message board (which is why your post stood out and I targeted you as a pirate).

Pro and Adv. Server have the same kernel, true. But Adv. Server has many more added services which may effect the memory differently, and cause problems in games which would not normally arise in Pro. Since it is not identicle to Pro, it is not the same O.S, and hence you will find limited support here since so few of us have experience with it.

I haven't experienced this problem with Halflife in Proffessional if that's what you're asking... nor have I heared any talk of it.

This may apply to you, but it's never happened to me before...

Try redownloading the update file MANY times until it gets through correct. I've had friends have to redownload the update patch like 5-10 times. probably the best way is to get it straight from the source from download.com or some public file archive. Update it and try running it after that..

I have Adv Server and Pro at home as well (just so everyone knows, I have the retail version of Pro complete with nifty hologram cd, and beta 3 of adv server from a Win2k AS deployment class) and it takes A LOT more to move it than anything else I have used. I honestly can't imagine that you will be able to do much gaming with it even if you can get it running. I hate just going in to work with the DNS settings (which I still can't get to work, but that's another forum). My server is a:

cel 333

ASUS P3B-F

196MB RAM

Matrox G200

no sound card

Maxtor 6GB UDMA

WD 4.3GB EIDE (3)

It's a dog whenever I have to go and do config changes, and I had a problem getting Netshield to run on it (4.5). Just from all the headache that I have had already from things that *normally* run on it, I would think that it would be rather difficult getting HL to run (as a game and not as a service) with all that overhead.

clutch

BTW, I did get Win2K Pro to run HL with a very similar config when it was Beta 3.

i think you're full of sh1t man, 200,000 people, then you don't have time to play f*ckin HalfLife, and why on a win2k advsvr box??? Win2k pro is good enough.

I just installed Halflife today, to replace my UT addiction for the past 2 month. I must have spent about 2 hours trying to get it to work. First, after the initial install, Halflife is the initial version, something like 1.010.10 or something. I tried to run it, and it give me an error right away. So I update it. But about the first 2 or 3 updates, I always get some kind of error, and when I try to run it again, it wouldn't work still. So after every single update, I had to uninstall it, and reinstall and redownload the update. Needless to say, this was starting to piss me off. But Luckily, after about 2 hours of installing and reinstalling, I got it to work. God. And now, about 5 hours later I regret what I missed these couple of month. Counterstrike is F*CKING AWESOME!@!!!@@

So I guess what I'm suggesting is just uninstalling everything and reinstall halflife, update to the latest version, and see if it works. It should. Btw, I'm running SMP WIn2k Pro Final w/ V3 2000.

A little interesting fact for you guys. Last week, a Microsoft Guy came to our school to recruit. Basically the whole time he was trying to sell Win2k. He mentioned in his presentation that WIn2k Pro, Server, and Advanced Server are identical! Let me repeat that "identical". All three have the same code. Basically the only differences between the three are registry differences that enable certain features. Such as CPU support, Mem support, and other stuff. He said this was just how they market. Wierd huh? One person asked him what would prevent someone just copying the registry over to a pro to turn it into server or advanced server, and he basically said nothing, except it would be the same as piracy. I want to see someone actually turn pro into advanced server by copying the registry.

Heifetz

What would be the point? Each O.S is so easy to find on the internet that pirating it in such a method would be a waste of time. I did say that the kernels were the same, which means that, yes, the O.S is the same, but since there are so many added services running in the background it is significantly different; such errors aren't a big suprise.

You could have two identicle operating systems running side by side with the exact same hardware and configuration, and a game wouldn't run on one of the two because it's running ICQ in the background and the other is not (this is a fictitious example, but it's possible none the less).

There are definately code diffrences between the diffrent products of Win2k. Their basic cores are the same, but there are additional services installed for Srv and AdvSrv.