Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JeffL

DOS gaming??

What is windows 2000 stand with DOS games? I cannot get any to really work. I miss playing Abuse and MAME? Anyone have any pointers or should I config another machine to play such games?

Thanks

Windows 2000 is basically NT5 and as with NT4 and others, DOS programs (esp. games) simply do not work because of the OS's design. While you might get the odd old Dos thing to work (try turning off sound and no Vesa video modes) generally they simply won't work, period.

As for Mame, get Winmame and that problem at least is easily solved.

first off, get yourself SoundFX (there is a link to this somewhere here on ntcompatible)

to get the sound to work for DOS games. play a little with it´s settings to figure out which one fits best to your system. Abuse was VERY playable for ten minutes (the time allowed to play by SoundFX since it´s only a demo). If I get Privateer (1) to work under W2k, I´ll buy this SoundFX stuff...

Quote:
Originally posted by Preacher:
first off, get yourself SoundFX (there is a link to this somewhere here on ntcompatible)
to get the sound to work for DOS games. play a little with it´s settings to figure out which one fits best to your system. Abuse was VERY playable for ten minutes (the time allowed to play by SoundFX since it´s only a demo). If I get Privateer (1) to work under W2k, I´ll buy this SoundFX stuff...

Ha! When Origin wrote Privateer (1) the only OS's on the block were Windows 3.11/Dos and OS/2. Origin wrote Privateer so it wouldn't run on OS/2 - but it backfired. They wrote thier own extended memory manager code - and hence it won't run on anything but pure dos - do as I do - dual boot.

Speaking of SoundFX NT has anyone got it work witn a SB Live! card? I have yet to get the program to work with ANY DOS game. Actually after I install it and uninstall it DOS games that used to work dont even work without sound any more. Any ideas?

eraser-

Where can I get the full version of Soundfx NT? The Sofware systems is down. I've tried it with 2 or 3 games and it works perfecty.

i am able to run that real old game nukewar

thats a old dos game.

still kind of fun.

Wallaby

Quote:
Originally posted by KillEm:
Where can I get the full version of Soundfx NT? The Sofware systems is down. I've tried it with 2 or 3 games and it works perfecty.

Check the download page. It has both a link to the demo of SoundFX NT and a link to the developer.

Ed

Quote:
Originally posted by EM:
Check the download page. It has both a link to the demo of SoundFX NT and a link to the developer.

Ed

The download for the demo works fine, but that's not what he asked. To get the full version, you have to register. However, the developer's site seems to be down. Anyone know more on this?