Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ylekiote

need for speed

How can i get need for speed HS to work under 2k. No one has answred my guestion under the other need for speed question so thought i should try a new one

From the Games Compatibility Page, N for Need for Speed:

Need for Speed 4 (Electronic Arts) Yes W2000 06/99

1. Run Setup.exe

2. When you get the error message "This game only runs on Windows 95 or 98" copy the entire directory "_ISTMP1.DIR" (or similar) which is located in x:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temp\ to a temporary location (eg. c:\nfshsdir). Maintain directory structure when copying.

3. Click OK to quit the error message.

4. In the nfshsdir directory rename _INS5576._MP to _INS5576.EXE

5. Copy ImageCFG.exe and SetWin95.cmd from the NT 4.0/NT5b2/Win2000b3RC1 CD to the nfshsdir directory.

6. Go to a command prompt, CD to the temporary directory. Type SetWin95 _INS5576.EXE <ENTER>.

7. Create a file called "_INS0432.INI" and put the following line in it: " -fY:\SETUP.INS -z1 -cx -xC:\nfshsdir -x1"Y:\" -q10009" Make sure you substitute Y:\ for your CD-ROM drive and C:\nfshsdir for the temporary directory you chose in step 2.

8. Run _INS5576.EXE from the nfshsdir directory.

9. Ignore the error message "Can not run Unicode version of ATL.DLL on Windows 95. Please install the correct version.

10. Run NFS Auto-Patch (under Start Menu) to update to latest version to resolve "Invalid Win32 Application" error message.

11. Congratulations, you have just installed Need for Speed 4 in Windows 2000. You may need to apply a NO-CD check patch to eliminate CD-check depending on your system.

Try checking around on this site (ie: search) before posting questions to see if the question has already been asked and answered. It saves us all a lot of headaches. smile

Ed

Can anybody tell me, where I can get the files "ImageCFG.exe" and "SetWin95.cmd" ?

I run Win2k retail & the files are not on the cd... Thanx in advance...

goto www.win2knews.com/files.htm lots of good stuff there,

The setwin95 worked for me, but the _ins5576.exe programs says it can't find _sys1.cab, I'm guessing it's the syntax of the ini file, but I haven't figured it out yet

got it to work! when creating the ini file, I omitted the last section "-q10009" the installation program ran fine, (except it was in Spanish), but it installed and I can play it, now I just need to get D3D support...sigh...

I tried this workaround to the letter, and when I get to running _INS5576.EXE, I get no response from it. If I do it in the command prompt window, it just returns the prompt, with no error message, and in File Explorer I get no response either. This is the retail shrinkwrapped version of win2k.

Any thoughts? I used setwin95 correctly, and cut and pasted the line into _INS0432.INI, changing Y to my cd-rom drive letter...

Anyone?

[This message has been edited by Hellspawn (edited 23 February 2000).]

You're DA MAN, LM - thanx a lot for the link to the files! smile

installation went smooth (hellspawn, i've had the same prob after klicking on _INS5576.EXE... no reaction. after about 2 mins, the desktop dissapeared & i thought that win2k had locked up, then the game began to install..)

i can't run the game now because ea's 'auto patch server' seems to be down... before i invest more time - has anyone experienced a speed increase running the game under win2k compared to win98se? (i have dual boot & i'm running an athlon 650 w/ 128mb)

same here.. click on the exe file, the .ini disappears, and nothing. I waited 10 minutes and nothing even started to install... Seems like it has something to do with the individual system, as the steps to follow are the same for all of us..

damn. Hope Porsche Unleashed runs on 2k

OK , I finally got NFSHS to install. Terrible graphics. No 3dfx found by the game, it only shows "software rendering". Any help for this ? I have a Voodoo3 2000 with the 3DFX Win2K drivers installed.

Has anyone experienced a speed increase running NFSHS under win2k compared to win98se? (I have dual boot & I'm running an athlon 650 w/ 128mb)

[This message has been edited by minuteman (edited 25 February 2000).]

Can someone please e-mail me ImageCFG.exe and SetWin95.cmd. I upgraded from Windows 98, and do not have NT 4.0. My e-mail address is Omf24@netzero.net

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Omf24:
Can someone please e-mail me ImageCFG.exe and SetWin95.cmd. I upgraded from Windows 98, and do not have NT 4.0. My e-mail address is Omf24@netzero.net

Thanks.

Near the beginning of this thread LM posted a web page of www.win2knews.com/files.htm that has these files on it. It would be advantageous to read the whole thread rather than just randomly posting for information that has already been posted. smile

Ed

Quote:
Originally posted by EM:
Near the beginning of this thread LM posted a web page of www.win2knews.com/files.htm that has these files on it. It would be advantageous to read the whole thread rather than just randomly posting for information that has already been posted. smile

Ed

The setwin95 file is there, however the ImageCFG.exe file is not, if you have this file please e-mail it to me.

Do you actually look before you think/post?

Try opening the setwin95.zip file and WOW look at that.....there's image.cfg right there with it!

I can't get nfshs to work, I can install it but I get some patch restart error, and I can't seem to autopatch either, I get some error about the patch file and the patch updater being different versions. Any ideas? should I re-install win2k?

This problem may have to do with non beta win2k installs.Alot of the other posts where the game works are pre win2k releases.