Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xpto

Quakecon 2003 DOOM3 and Call of Duty

quakecon 2003 report

well this isnt new, one week late, but one more time, its reinforced and if anyone had any doubts that Doom3 will be supported under linux.

Like quake3 did in the past. Doom3 will be the De Facto game, the game that will set the standards the game that will set the steps for others to follow. Doom3 it will be based manly in openstandards like opengl2 and that is a warranty of success.

John Carmack didnt gave the final keynote speech, but ID's devolepers working in the project just pointed one more time that a LINUX client will be released. So we all can start putting aside those euro/dollar cents for the major upgrade for something that can run Doom3 atleast @50FPS laugh

The game its schedule for mid of 2004 and quake4 with doom3 engine to the beginning of 2005

On other note, a new game was presented Heed The Call Of Duty, a quake3 engine game based like battlefield 1942 Mohha and Enemy territory, featuring the world war II was anounced and accordingly to TG reporters the game is astonishing

Call of Duty is a game set in WWII, and offers a realistic glimpse of what a real war is like. There is a selection of three soldier campaigns: American, Russian, or French, in order to provide different battle line perspectives.

This game might be the best looking and most realistic war game we've ever seen. The graphics are indeed mind blowing. When a mortar round hits the ground in front of you, the ground breaks up in chunks and rains down around you, and it looks like the real thing.

The developers, Infinity Ward, told us they used a highly-modified Quake 3 engine. This got us even more interested, since we're big fans of Quake 3, only this engine blows Quake 3 away. These guys obviously worked their tails off, and it shows.

The game will be on the shelves in November of this year, just before it's time to go Christmas shopping.

The question is, there will be a linux port? shocked

I hope so, lets wait to see ;(

I read the article at www.tomshardware.com about Call Of Duty Looks amazing it would be cool if it was ported to linux.

As far as doom3 goes I hope It does not go OTT and loose on playability.

For example UT2003 has really good grafics but the grafics engine lacks something, I cant put my finger on it.

Its kinda like the difference between Vinyl and cd.(quake3 and UT2003).

The quake3 engine just seems smoother and more playable...

This is just me.

Quote:
I read the article at www.tomshardware.com about Call Of Duty Looks amazing it would be cool if it was ported to linux.
As far as doom3 goes I hope It does not go OTT and loose on playability.
For example UT2003 has really good grafics but the grafics engine lacks something, I cant put my finger on it.
Its kinda like the difference between Vinyl and cd.(quake3 and UT2003).
The quake3 engine just seems smoother and more playable...
This is just me.

Yes you are so true, ut2k3 misses something. Probably because of that Epic already anounced there will be an ut2004

<i> UT2004 will basically be a severely upgraded version of UT2003 with all sorts of new content, an improved engine, and two new gameplay modes: "Assault" and "Onslaught," which adds controllable land, space, and air-based vehicles.</i>

http://www.planetunreal.com/ut2004/index.shtml (story)
http://www.planetunreal.com/ut2004/screenshots/ (some screenshots)
http://www.ut2003files.com/file.news?ID=5730 (video + interview)

but yeah Quake3 rules smile and i hope they keep the gameplay high on Quake4 with doom3 engine.

One thing for sure i know, an upgrade for the next yea i will need laugh

Quote:
One thing for sure i know, an upgrade for the next yea i will need

I am itching for a geforce FX5900 but a faster CPU would make more differrence, I presently have a GF4 Ti 4200.
If AMD 3000XP drops under 200 EUROS I will be seriously tempted.
Anyhow any upgrade change right now i feel unneeded and unprudent since
Doom 3 at this rate will not be out untill the second half of 2004.
And we all now that hardware prices will drop by then and there will probably be newer faster cpu's, gpu's.

yep you said all

doom3 will mark the pace

for now(2 weeks in time) im just going to upgrade my maxine to a barton and switch my gf2 for a gf4200, about a +-180 euros change ;(

its enough for my needs qk3 and all mods urt3 osp plus rtcw enemy territory and some battlefield over winex, all qk3 engines by the way wink

inst that a gf2 and amd 1300 isnt enough, but with that upgrade i can hold more about 1 year until doom3 cames out

cheers all laugh