Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Panther04

Homeworld and OGL mode

Got a quick question for everyone. I've searched the posts and found a couple of topics relating to this topic, but none have answered my question. I've just installed the version of the v3 drivers found on this site and Q3 runs great, but when I try to use OGL in Homeworld (v1.0), it comes back saying that it can't use that mode. If anyone has had any success please let me know. ie: what drivers and version of Homeworld you're running. Thanks.

btw: Hardward is pretty standard, win2k 2195.1, p3-450, 256mb ram, v3-3000

[This message has been edited by Panther04 (edited 26 January 2000).]

Already did that.. those were the drivers that I had running first when I installed Homeworld and it was the same result. I even d/l the brand new win9x v3 drivers released today and tested out the ogl included with those and it was still the same result. I'm really wondering who has gotten it to run in ogl mode and under what conditions. I also just patched Homeworld to v1.03 to see if that made a difference and it didn't.

well i do know that on the first version of homeworld the opengl option would not work on tnt cards because it was disabled but the lastest patch does support it

Hmm.. well it's always been an option thus far regardless of the version of Homeworld that is installed (1.0, 1.03 or 1.04), it just keeps telling me it's an invalid display selection.. I can't figure out why. Like I said, I just wanted to know who made it work under 2195 and how they did it so I could try to do the same. Thanks.

Well, I've tried out the new 3dfx beta drivers and I still have the same result, unable to display in OpenGL. If anybody gets it to work, I would appreciate a post to say how you did it. cool

It should work for you I have a v3 2000 with beta drivers. I remember I did once have a problem with ogl where the screen would turn bloody red. I found out that I had left an old oem.inf file in my winnt directory. I dont know if that could cause it but win2k seems to like to replace drivers without you knowing so you have to delete all existing files related to voodoo.

oem*.*

voodoo*.*

glide*.*

3dfx*.*

Make sure you delete in safe mode or it wont work win2k will just put them back. Ok so you do have the 1/26/2000 drivers? The older betas were crap make sure you have the newest. Then install and bang you should be good. Hope that helps.

sorry I dont know how to read. I could of swore it said half life. Sorry I dont have homeworld. still might want to try the driver thing though.

Thanks for the input.. yeah, I had Half-Life going just fine under 2000 with the 3dfx OGL option in the video modes, but in Homeworld it just lists it as Default OpenGL(GL).. it's like it doesn't even use the mini-gl. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if Sierra posts a fix (as unlikely as that probably is).

Seeing as no one was really able to help panther, i don't expect much either, but it's worth a go. I'm having the exact same problem, but with the Creative Banshee, not the voodoo 3. I'm using the latest drivers by Anthony Toste. Any help would be appreciated.