Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sxlee

Refresh Rates in OpenGL or Direct3D?

Guys, I am having trouble changing the refresh rates in OpenGL games like Q3 or UT. Is there an way to change the refresh rates? I am tired of playing Q3 at 59.6hz frown

Had exactly the same problem. Here´s how I solved it:

for DirectX applications, goto Start -> Run enter "dxdiag" at the "open" prompt (of course without the "), go to "more help" (the last tab of the just popped up DirectX Diagnostic Tool, hit the "override" button and enter the desired refresh rate in the "Override Value" line.

for OpenGL apps (you could use that too for DX apps) get the latest version of Powerstrip

(www.entechtaiwan.com , if I remember right).

After installation, configure Powerstrip as needed, right click on the Powerstrip icon in the taskbar, goto "Powerstrip configuration",

then the "Presets" tab and associate a screen resolution, a refresh rate and a color depth to the programs you like to start. Run your apps as normal, no trouble any more smile

I tried powerstrip, it doesn't work real well. You have to run games from it's menu and Quake3 just freezes up. Besides, I run Quake 3 from Gamespy so what good does that do me? No powerstrip is not user friendly and doesn't even seem to work, as far as just allowing us to flat out have a frequency vs res no matter what.

We just need a simple program that will do it. To make it work like it does in Win98.

We'll just have to wait I guess.

It doesn't work for me either frown

I had the EXACT same outcome like Slavedog...

I just went to DXDIAG and clicked on more help and overided the refresh rate. I put in 85 hz which is fine for me. Better than 60. It seems to work for Q3 and UT also.

Good Luck

Other solution : before installing your driver, edit the *.inf file. There, you have refresh rate for each screen size. Erase the rate you don't want. Reinstall your driver unsing this tweaked *.inf. And here you are.

Awx

PS :

TNT = NV4

TNT2 = NV5

GeForce = NV10

That's Cool,

I saw how TNT2 and Geforce users where doing that. I spent a long time looking at my V3 inf and it doesn't have any refresh info. The line where it should have it points to a .dll file. So I couldn't get it to work for my V3.

That is cool that Nvidia users can easily do that though.

-

------------------

Freeman Cooley

freeman@primenet.com

Just write a second DLL that intercept the callsto the dll and block the rate you don't want . Sounds a little bit hard ? Yes, I know and I don't even if I would ever be able to do such a thing smile. Have a look in regedit, you might find interesting things if you are lucky (I don't know where V3 put their prefs).

Awx

I tried the registry a few times but could not find anything to change. I've done that before with other cards though in Win9x. I really think that the V3 has it hidden in a dll.

It's not so bad now that I just overode the default in dxdiag. I'm sure it will get better and easier to do it as time goes on. I just wish Powerstrip wasn't so user-unfriendly.

------------------

Freeman Cooley

freeman@primenet.com

just go into reg edit and search for "refresh" keep searching till you find some 60 hz settings, worked for my v2