Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chum

SOF Demo Problems

I just installed the SOF Demo and everytime I start the program (double clicking on the icon) my machine locks up.

I'm using a TNT2 Ultra (Nvidia Win2K drivers 3.76) with Win2K build 2195 . UT and Q3 both works with no problems.

Anyone have any ideas?

[This message has been edited by Chum (edited 14 February 2000).]

I have the same problem.

I have been posting to raven's official messageboard but they seem to either be stumped or don't care. Other people have the same problem, while still others run it fine. Stop by and post your problem.

http://www2.ravensoft.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

I just finished installing the final retail version of Win2k on a freshly formatted drive. After installing basically nothing except the nvidia 3.76 drivers and the SoF demo I still had this problem.

[This message has been edited by latkey (edited 14 February 2000).]

I first had this problem with 3.69. Instead of hanging at the desktop, my machine would reboot. No problems with any other games.

Using 3.66 I could get the demo to 'run' but very slow and unstable. Again, at this time I had no problems with other games.

I would think if the 3.69 drivers work for you the 3.76 would work fine as well.

Chum tell us your system specs smile

------------------

Dual Intel Pentium II 450

384 MEGS of PC-100 RAM

Sound Blaster Live!

Promise DMA/66 Controller

GeForce 256 DDR

IBM Deskstar 34GXP 27.3GB DMA 66

Western Digital 20.5GB DMA 66

Intellimouse Explorer (USB)

Roland Sound Canvis SC-55

3COM 3CR990-TX-97 with 3XP Processor 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card

Thanks for all the replies. Here are my systems specs (well, all the specs that are important):

Intel PIII 550

256 MB PC-100 RAM

TNT2 Ultra

As mentioned, I've installed the 3.76 drivers and while everything else works (UT, Q3, HL, etc), SOF locks up my system on startup.

I've thought about installing the 3.69 drivers, but had a few questions:

1. Are my other games (UT, Q3, etc) going to see any performance decrease from going back to 3.69? Also, anyone have a good site that archives the earlier driver sets (ie 3.69)?

2. What is the suggested method of changing driver level? Should I go back to the native TNT2 drivers first? I heard something about erasing all of my current nv* files, but wasn't sure if that was needed (or what should really be deleted for that matter).

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

[This message has been edited by Chum (edited 15 February 2000).]

I don't think you'll see a big performance difference between those 2 drivers. Look on 3dchipsets.com for win2k drivers.

I would just uninstall the card from device manager or display properties or wtv first. The card will still show up in device manager after rebooting and will be using the native win2k drivers from the cd. You can see exactly the files it's using in the device properties under 'Driver Details'. I don't think it's necessary to delete nv* files.