Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
latkey

Soldier of Fortune demo

Does anyone have the same problem as me with the SoF demo, where it hangs my machine up at a grey screen when it starts? I'm using 3.75 with a TN2U, and any other opengl games work fine.

Dunno...

I used 3.69, it rebooted me.

Then I switchd to 3.75, it just froze my desktop, and had to cold boot using the on/off switch. Its the only time I've froze up this bad since using beta 3 in july.

Works fine on my system.

ABIT BP6, 2*466 @ 560 ,Promise Fasttrak66 IDE Raid, Voodoo3 2000, SBLive, 3DFX Beta Win2k drivers, 128 RAM

Ed

EM, u forgot the most important thing for these 3 fellas here having the problem, what driver version?

Supposeldy only 3.69 drivers work for SoF. I tried it myself and it came to be true on my setup as well. Im using a tnt2u, and with 3.75 I got a drwatson error, at the load screen and it would jsut exit, but with 3.69 it works flawlessly every time.

the 3.69 drivers are available from chams site:

http://win2kbox.cjb.net/

I tried everything, installing 3.75 (for my TNT2U), and to going down to 3.69 as people have told me. Nothing works!

It starts, goes into a gray screen for a while, there is a lot of disk activity, then for a few seconds it goes into a black screen, I hear my monitor switching resolutions and then I'm back on my desktop and it says "SoF.exe has generated an error".

What the **** is this?!

Someone please help!

I get that Dr.watson error only when I dont use 3.69

I dont know what else to tell you, but I hate saying ur doing something wrong only thing I can recommend is install a clean copy of win2k on another harddrive which really only takes 30 to 45 minutes and use 3.69 drivers. I always have at least 3 copys of win2k installed it makes it much easier to trouble shoot and test new hardware. HAving 3 differnet installations only takes up about a 1 to 1.5 gigs and we all have like 20-60 gigs on our comptuers so its def. worth it.

JimmyK, I was only posting to let them know that the demo does work with the Voodoo3. I have had nothing but trouble with my Viper 770 sith my dual processor setup and so have pulled it in favor of a Voodoo3 for now. TNT2 drivers have too many problems for me to deal with for now (D3D lockups etc).

Ed

Honestly this is the only problem I've had with my TNT2U under Win2k and an OpenGL OR D3D game. Systemshock2, Thief2 demo, UT, Motocross/Midtown Madness, Q1, Q2, Q3, Halflife, everything works just fine up until the SoF demo.

I did get it to work using the old 3.66 drivers, but it's slow and choppy (but runs great on same machine under 98).

I can't wait to get some final, official and completely functional drivers from Nvidia and not from some guy's random virus ridden hacked win2k driver site.

I used to have that skipping problem myself. It was a grey screen then I updated my drivers to 3.75 and it runs fine. I have a GeForce DDR and Quake III doesn't crash anymore in SMP mode with 3.75 drivers smile Just delete everything nvidia associated and do a clean update.

no, not q3.

I'm talking about the SoF demo. Everything else including Q3 has always run great in Win2k on my machine. Regardless of what drivers I have used.

I am only having a problem with the SoF demo.

Sorry about that smile Yes SOF is running fine when I updated to 3.75. I must admit you are really missing something if you can't play the demo. I was so amazed by this "dated" engin. The graphics are mind blowing and the reality of how the victim goes into shock before death is a very nice touch. I definately don't recommend little kids playing this game. It has a very REAL eliment to it. If possible, dual boot to 98 and play it smile This game is a must buy on my list smile

yeah, I can dual boot to play it, but now I just wanna find out what's causing this to happen. I'm obsessed.

what are your system specs? where did you get your 3.75 drivers? What build of win2k are you running?

I actually did many things. I installed the 3.68 NT 4.0 Detonator drivers. That didn’t work! Then I uninstalled it with the add/remove program. Clicked on the Nvidia NT 4.0 driver and remove them. Then it rebooted and then I updated the drivers to 3.75, reboot. After that SoF executed. I tell you these beta drivers are nothing but a pure headache. But if you got the patience you will eventually get it smile I don’t know if this will help, but make sure you MPS is at 1.4 not 1.1. On the Intel forum people said Windows 2000 doesn’t like MPS 1.1 for some reason.

System Specs:

Dual Intel Pentium II 450

384 MEGS of PC-100 RAM

Sound Blaster Live!

Promise DMA/66 Controller

GeForce 256 DDR

IBM Deskstar 34GXP 27.3GB DMA 66

Western Digital 20.5GB DMA 66

Intellimouse Explorer

Roland Sound Canvis SC-55

Did you have problems with other opengl games etc before all this? Or did you only have a problem with SoF?

I've tried the 3.75 drivers before and they didn't work any better for SoF.

Quake I and Quake II run VERY well smile But I did have a problem back in the RC3 days with Quake III arena in SMP mode. I could not get that to work correctly. The problem was that the game did execute in SMP mode, but after after the level was completed and had to reload the next level the game kept locking up. Then I read that the 3.68 NT 4.0 Detonator drivers work in SMP mode in Windows 2000. I tried it and yes it did work in SMP mode. No more lock ups smile I wanted to leave it at that and didn't want to tamper with it anymore. Then the big day arrived when SoF was released. I quickly downloaded it and clicked on the SoF icon. Then to my surprise it was a stuttering and skipping. I had to press CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to the taskbar and terminate the program. At this point I really wanted to play it on Windows 2000. So I tempted with fate and downloaded the 3.75 drivers. I then uninstalled the old NT 4.0 drivers rebooted and updated the drivers to 3.75, then rebooted. Then I crossed my fingers and clicked on the SoF icon again. It executed very well and I could actually see the activision logo with the soldiers running in the back ground of the Activision logo. I am very pleased with it so far and I am not going to update to anythingelse till Nvidia released official Windows 2000 drivers smile I am sticking with 3.75! Plus my SMP works 100% now in Quake III and I don't want to tamper with this AT ALL! smile I am pretty much a Quaker. All my games are Quake Engin based games. I did buy Unreal Tournament. Why you ask? I don't know I got into the hype and might find a game that might be a good competitor to Quake III. Boy was I wrong! ;)To this date the only OpenGL game that I have a difficult time is SoF demo. You're not alone most Windows 2000 users still cannot run the Demo. I guess you could try what I did by installing the 3.68 NT 4.0 Detonator driver then uninstalling it and then installing 3.75 to see if that works smile You did not tell me your system specs maybe I could find something smile

Okay, I'm rebooting in 3.69 and locking my desktop up in 3.75. I guess one way to solve this problem is what was suggested: that we post our brief system specs. And no, SoF is not crashing because of my P2 300! smile Oh yeah what AGP aperture size do you have set on your BIOS? I had 64, I tried 128, didn't make a difference.

riz

-------------------------------------

Intel 440lx mobo w/ PII-300

192Mb RAM

Viper v550 (TNT) AGP

6.4Gb IDE HD(fat32), 1 CDROM, 1 CD-R

Yamaha PCI sound (betcha this is it!)

Linksys NIC 10/100

That's the same thing that happened with me and those 2 driver versions.

http://www2.ravensoft.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

please go there under Sof demo support and let them know you are having the problem too. The thread's topic line is 'Win2k, Nvidia and AGP Problem? '

Although there is an issue with Yamaha sound cards, neither me nor other people with this problem have one. I have an MX300, another guy has an SB Live...

You know, one thing I do notice is that we all have CD-R/CD-RW's. It totally doesn't make any sense for that to be an issue I would think tho...

Please go to Raven's Board and add to the thread!