Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ToronKator

Trying to figure out wich distro to get...

Hello everyone, i'm currently trying to figure out which distro i want: Mandrake 9.1, RH9, or Suse 8.2 (i think)

Well, I have a quite fast cop @ 3.03 ghz, 1 gig ddr ram and a 80 gig maxtor HD.

Well, I DO want a near- mac os x theme to it, and also something like that of the dock in mac os x....

I'M IN LOVE W/ MAC OS X, but can't afford a mac since I just made this huge investment...

I REALLY want to learn linux, and get the ball rolling, which distro is good for me? I'll have a DSL connection and so I'd like it to update weekly/monthly if possible.

I've used all three of the distros you mentioned. My PCs tend to have the "latest" hardware installed as well. The only one of the three that recognized my Radeon 9700 Pro AIW and my Audigy 2 Platinum eX was Red Hat 9.

I've found the last couple versions of Mandrake to be buggy and unstable (no flames please, your mileage may vary) and SuSe feels slow to me, probably due to its choosing a generic framebuffer driver for my ATI card instead of the proper native drivers.

After you get your feet wet with one of these distros, if you still want to learn more about how Linux works, consider a source-based distro like Gentoo. It's more difficult for a newbie to install and configure, but ultimately rewarding since it's more tailored to your hardware and personal preferences.

Bottom line (my opinion): Start with Red Hat 9.