Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Woebringer

Fix for "Sticky Keys" Tested and Proven

Let's fix "sticky keys" once and for all...

The "sticky keys" problem that people face is a failry common problem on some high-end machines. It has been my experience (and our company's) that this has to due with PS2 keyboard and mice communication. This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to due with DirectX Version, Video Drivers, 3d capabilites, etc. It is strictly a PS2 timing issue and our machines running faster than PS2 was designed for.

Here is the quick and dirty fix. Take your PS/2 Mouse and run it serial or USB. Your mouse should have come with a PS/2 to 9-pin serial adapter. This makes the mouse communicate seperately from the keyboard, thus not flooding the buffer in question and VIOLA, we are in business. Move the mouse to a serial port or a USB port (whichever your mouse will do)and your problem should go away.

This has been tried and proven to fix things on my 9x, NT4, and NT2k boxes. Games include Q3, Shogo, Specops2, etc. Basically anything that uses keyboard/mouse should now work for you. Serial is a much better option than USB since USB uses CPU time for input, but this is a minor issue at best.

If anyone wants to question this solution or would like more detailed information about why moving your mouse off of the PS2 channel works, feel free to e-mail me. I will get back to as time permits (eventually).

The Woebringer

woebringer@poboxes.com

Yes it will work because its using directinput that comes with DX 7 in RC3 and some 2195 versions using 7.0a will fix the problem I have not had a problem since I upgraded to 2195

This fix you have suggested does not work.

I have build 2195 (final), with a Microsoft USB Intelli Mouse Explorer, connected via the USB port, and a Microsoft Natural Keyboard connected via PS2.

Your fix says to eliminate the PS2 Mouse, and use it via serial/usb correct???

My "Sticking Keys" problem is still present in Rally Championship 2000, and is quite bad, I suggest you try this game out, or other people try this game out with the above fix mentioned.

I think you will find that it does not work, or otherwise I have mis-read your post.

If so please look into it

Meth

(Still annoyed by sticking keys)

Ive played that game and it works fine on my system. You probably have one of the versions of Win2K that doesnt have DX 7a

I was using a serial mouse all along and it still happens. maybe just not as often, but then ive never used Win2k with a Ps/2 mouse so i dont know any worse smile

And what build has dx 7a? I'm using the final and it's dx 4.07.00.0700. As far as i know that would be the final dx7 there's no 'A' anywhere.

How do you find out what version of directx you have? There's no directx folder in program files like in 98...

Click Start->Run and type dxdiag

The last line in the System Information is your DirectX version.

The Real Fix, or not...I'd like to thank this guy. I was getting consistent (every time I played) key locking in unrealT, both in Win98 and Win2k. Moved my PS2 to the serial port using the included adapter (Logitech). I've not had a lock up in over 5 hours of action. At the very least, i'd say it helps...

The Real Fix, or not...I'd like to thank this guy. I was getting consistent (every time I played) key locking in unrealT, both in Win98 and Win2k. Moved my PS2 to the serial port using the included adapter (Logitech). I've not had a lock up in over 5 hours of action. At the very least, i'd say it helps...

Thanks SuperDan

And for the rest of you, I hope this fix or anything else I post here helps. If you are still having problems, I would be more than will to try and help ya out.

Shoot an e-mail off to woebringer@poboxes.com with some details of your machine, including video, audio, NT build, mouse, game that is breaking, etc... I will do what I can for you.

Again, thanks Superdan, OUT!

Maybe this will help, but I doubt it..I installed windows final fresh on my HD not update. All I read was that keys sticking shouldnt be a problem in the final build, because of the directinput that was causing the problem