Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cancerman

Anyone Get Q3 to run Under NT4.0 SMP with a Banshee? or any

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone get Q3 (the Real thing) running under NT4.0 SMP enable (with 2CPUS of cause) with a Banshee card? I have a Banshee.. but it just won't run in the early Q3 Test versions.. wonder if they've got a New Driver that will let it run....

On the other hand... anyone know if there's any other Video card that will let you run SMP under NT? I know 3Dlabs VX1 and GVX1 and GVX210 will do that.. duh... and How's that GeForce doing? Stable?

I was gonna try downloading the Demo but then.. the server is always FULL... Please let me know if it runs! thanks!

Cancerman

Check earlier posts and you will see that Quake 3 runs fine on an NT4 SMP system. But steer clear of Aureal Vortex 1 & 2 sound cards (eg Diamond Monster Sound MX300) if your using NT4 and SMP. I use a Creative GeForce 256 and a Creative PCI 128 sound card on dual 550MHz (366) Celerons and Quake 3 runs perfectly!

p.s. UT, Half-Life etc run fine too!

Well, the problem with Sound Blaster is that it isn't that stable pairing with my SCSI Card... hope they get it fix soon...

for Banshee... Just tested it on Q3 Demo... won't run smp...

Anyway thanks... I might get a GeForce soon... the ELSA one. they have the best driver!

Cancerman

Running using Permedia2 is fine in Q3-smp.

Running using Voodoo2, mega-crash in Q3-smp.

(Dual P3-500)

Yes, I've been able to run quake3 on my dual processor NT4 system with a Diamond Monster Fusion banshee card. It's relativly simple, after doing a standard install just download the file 3dfxOGL.dll (I belive it's in the 3dfxgamers.com NT4 refrence driver pack for the banshee, if it's not there I can send it to you), rename it to 3dfxvgl.dll and put it in your quake3 base directory. When it asks you if you want to run windowed or full screen hit 'OK' and you're in the game. If some of the menu's and buttons are distorted (dosent happen all the time), then hit F11 to deal with the problem.

I get 80+ fps at 1024x768 with my dual 333's

------------------

In most networks, it is usually the users and not the hardware or software that is responsible to so-called network problems. Therefore, a logical first step in roubleshooting a user identified problem is to fix the user.

Hmm, I've got a Voodoo3 3000 and can't get

Q3A running in SMP mode. From what I've

heard/read only the TNTx/GeForce cards are

at all stable running in SMP atm.

Has anyone got a success story with NT4/Q3A/

v3000/SMP? If so which drivers? smile