Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ASiDiE

Anyone found a fix for keys sticking?

I know there is a post on this already but maybe this one with get some inteligent posts. IF win2000 is going to be the next gaming OS which tons of people are saying don't you think this might be a problem? And why does it only happen in games? Someone said turing down the speed of the mouse might fix it.. but when you are used to playing very fast you just can't do that. I am also wondering if Build 2194 or even the final build of 2195 fix this problem... Please let me know!

Thanks

ASiDiE

are you talking about things like...

Quake3: I shoot and run around a lot, and then suddenly my machinegun continue to shoot even though I've released the mousebutton.

If this is it, then I guess it's not a problem with the g400 drivers as I resently thought smile.gif

I have the exact same problem.

You'll be walking around in UT fine then you'll start firing and sometimes it will keep firing until you press the mouse button again.

I have 2183 and a voodoo3

It just might have been fixed in the 2195 eva copy, I haven't yet met the problem after two intense deathmatches. One today, and one yesterday hehe

Anyway, you guys have USB mouse?

I had problem with RC3 on a M$ wheelmouse (PS/2) and a microsoft intelleye mouse (USB)

Downloading 2195 to see if its fixed

Yeah, roque spear has it too here. And I can add Shogo, Descent3 and Alien vs Predator to the list frown.gif(

A fix would REALLY be a lifesaver

Don't notice it any more with build 2195. I have microsoft intelleye mouse PS2.

In the final release it still occurs in AVP, i find that in Win98 and i press too many keys it beeps, but in Win2k it just locks them frown.gif

I'm using 2195 non eval and the mouse probs seems to be eliminated in most cases. HOWEVER... Rogue Spear is a shocker. Can't play Multiplayer too well as I have a habit of shooting my team mates in the back of the head suddenly, or unknowingly running into rooms full of terrorists. Quite a laugh the first one or 2 times, but after that, MAN it pisses you right off

Q3 and UT all seem fine, it's just RS on my PISSED list atm!

The problem lies not with Win2k but driectX 7 and win2k. It is direct input. The only way to fix this is get DX 7a (which is in 2194 and higher). I think if you reformat and install 2195 it will fix this problem. Im running build 2195 and havent had this problem yet. It did happen when I was playing UT, Tribes and a few other games in RC 3. So you need to get DirectX 7a and this will fix the problem. biggrin.gif

I'm getting 'sticking keys' problems with Rally Championship 2000. I use keyboard for 'driving'.

No problems with UT or Descent FreeSpace 2 (using kb + mouse).

Build 2195 + MS Serial Mouse + TNT + 3.66 drivers.

------------------

- Igor -

I've been having a little big problem with the arrow keys sticking on build 2195 while playing zdoom 1.22a (Yes I still play doom) I'm not sure if this is to the topic but the keys are sticking and it's not nice.

[This message has been edited by Jerry - (edited 13 January 2000).]

An interesting note...

I've noticed the same thing happening in Win98 SE and UT. May be related to DirectX... i'm running 6.1, I'll try to upgrade to 7a on both Win98 and Win2k and see what happens.

Let's fix "sticky keys" once and for all...

The "sticky keys" problem that people face is a failry common problem on some high-end machines. It has been my experience (and our company's) that this has to due with PS2 keyboard and mice communication. This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to due with DirectX Version, Video Drivers, 3d capabilites, etc. It is strictly a PS2 timing issue and our machines running faster than PS2 was designed for.

Here is the quick and dirty fix. Take your PS/2 Mouse and run it serial or USB. Your mouse should have come with a PS/2 to 9-pin serial adapter. This makes the mouse communicate seperately from the keyboard, thus not flooding the buffer in question and VIOLA, we are in business. Move the mouse to a serial port or a USB port (whichever your mouse will do)and your problem should go away.

This has been tried and proven to fix things on my 9x, NT4, and NT2k boxes. Games include Q3, Shogo, Specops2, etc. Basically anything that uses keyboard/mouse should now work for you. Serial is a much better option than USB since USB uses CPU time for input, but this is a minor thing.

If anyone wants to question this solution or would like more detailed information about why moving your mouse off of the PS2 channel works, feel free to e-mail me. I will get back to as time permits (eventually).

The Woebringer

woebringer@poboxes.com

I have PIII-500, V3 3000, and 196mb of RAM and I noticed that Unreal takes too long to load. I think it takes about 10 seconds to load UT. I also have Ultra DMA 66 Hard Drive too. But it is worth it. UT is real cool. I like it better than Quake3. =)