Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Q3 asus g-force 256 /ver 3.66 spontaneous reboots

For some reason my asus ge force 256 deluxe card forces a reboot sporatically after the q3 is started. i am using 3.66 and did the various tricks like gamma, and nvogld.xx or whatever it is placed in /windows/system before i install the driver 3.66. i am using 2195 pro with a intel coppermine cc820 mb and p3 600 eb cpu 256 megs pc133? any ideas out there would be much appreciated.

Sean

May I ask why you're even using windows 2000? You only have one CPU, so stick to 98.

And don't say you're using it because it's more stable - it obviously isn't because you're getting "spontaneous reboots". Add to that - 98 will run faster on your system.

If I didn't have a dual system, I'd still be using 98 (I still do to play games, as win2k still won't play all my favourites).

Besides that, try the 3.52 drivers (if they support GeForce) I found them to be the most stable.

Morto.

Wrong Morto that has nothing to do with.

Just because nVida has fail to get stable drivers at this time dosen't mean anything.

Yes I do use Windows2000 because it's more stable & all 3 of my other system have one CPU.

"98 will run faster on your system"

is hog wash.

and the crowd cheers as they lift SHS to their shoulders

I have only one CPU and I run 2000 bweaudifully, as do most of my friends. 95% of my games work, except quake 3

If dual CPU's was required/recommended it would say so in the sys requirement, which it don't!

Ok, so the fact that Worms : Armageddon, GK3 and nfs4 etc. won't work properly is Nvidia's fault? Don't bull**** here SHS - they don't work. I'm not saying it's the fault of Win2k (and you don't have to get defensive just because your favourite OS has some incompatabilities with older software).

All I'm saying is that he's probably better off using 98 if he does not want to use the extra features 2000 offers. And I don't know how the hell Ekstreme thought I was suggesting that 2 CPUs is a requirement.

Here's the deal: if you wanna play games and don't need a larger, more feature packed OS use 98. Otherwise, knock yourself out with win2k. If win2k was so ****ing amazing, and perfect for everyone - why do you think Microsoft is making millenium?

And don't tell me the win2k is faster - NTFS slows everything down by some factor just for a start. (Due to the security checking, etc.)

So you don't have to bite my head off because I'm suggesting that win2k might not be perfect for everyone - different strokes make up the world.

Morto.

Well, Thank you all for your replies and opinions. In my case i am using w2k on this particiular machine mainly to familiarize myself with it's unique attributes that only daily regular use can do. I can KVM to any of the 8 other boxes i use here daily to work with and to their various o/s's. Regardlesss of the reason this box is running 2195 i was hoing to determine if this particiular anomoly is unique to me or if others habe seen the phenomenom and have found a work around. As to NTFS slowing down the system due to its inherent security features. I am not usiing NTFS or active directory on this box . I do intend to benchmark 2195 against w9x to this ends at a later time i will post my findings with both a NTFS based w2k and otherwise. I will say that i have found w2k server and advanced server far superior to NT 4.0 spx that is for certain. The sheer breadth of Admin features alone is impressive in comparison. I would like to see Q3 and w2k to be as stable as Q3 w98 in the near future that is for certain and i feel drivers alone may achieve that. If anyone has a similiar problem as mine or a solution please let us know. I will do the same. Again thanks all for your opinions. Sean

Sean,

I am using Win2K 2195 with a Creative GeForce SDR running the 'non-modified' 3.66 nvidia drivers and games like Q3A anfd UT all run perfectly.

Spontaneous reboots in my experience are the result of a hardware fault... usually CPU or Video card.

Put your CPU and video card back to standard speeds if you are overclocking, and make sure things are not getting too hot inside your case (see if its more stable with the case off etc) If you can, keep a PCI slot or two next to your GeForce card empty as this will help the GeForce shed heat.

Q3A hits the CPU/Video card subsystem very hard and often games like Q3A or UT will knock over an otherwise stable system.

Greggy,

I could not agree more, This type of thing i usually attribute to hardware as well, CPU ,MEM, Video Card.I am running a Coppermine 600eb , on an

Intel CC820 MB, WIth the ASUS Ge FOrce 256 6600 deluxe. I was in error before when i stated it was running the CL Annhuilator DDR,that is another machine . Sorry.. The MB has SB PCI 128 on board, and the only other cards in the machine are a Rockwell Modem and a 3com 3c905B-TX. Frankly this type of behavior i attribute to over heating almost always. Not here though , i suspected all these things at first so i applied forced air refrigeration to this box with in case Blowers pointed at CPU and Video Card, This thing is Cool!!! Now i notice this forced Reboot can occur when viewing DVD as well, This leads me to believe this is Video Related and i would swear an Overheat situation, but that card is ICE after my Procedure. Perhaps the ASUS 256 Card just can't handle this or i have a defective one and it is not win 2k's fault at all , rather a coincidence, I am leaning towards that as no one else has this problem. I am going to swap out the Video Card here today and report back to everyone! Thanks all of you for participation in this thread. This is the power of the Internet. Sean

It's definately a driver related problem I used to have spontanious reboots whenever I won a race in Motocross madness or came in the top 3 etc.... when i got the final dx 7 installed it fixed the problem immediately and I haven't had it since.