Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
binaryz

Win2K + Games (from "Let's Face It" topic)

well, i agree the beta does need alot of fixes with _SOME_ hardware, however after installing the final it seems alot better.

Now to get to the point of Win2K and games. It's well known that Win2K runs alot of games (Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Q3, Ultima 9) and most newer games that actually do run in win2k BETTER than Win9x. This is for the most part due to a much better memory management. What alot of people forget is that Win2K out of the box is configured very broadly after installation. It's alot like installing RedHat Linux. You really need to get into all the services and tweak most of them. About 50% of the services can be turned off on a mostly gaming machine. This will make Win2K alot snappier (at first it feels like Win98, i.e. slug fest). Hope that clears it up... oh and don't forget the registry smile.gif for doing the online gaming tweaks!

Binary,

Could you please make some suggestions on what tweaks you would make to help games work and play better ??? I would really appreciate it. Thanx