Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MatthewG

Curse of Monkey Island

I've read the compatibility list and it says that Monkey Island 3: Curse of Monkey Island is compatible with Windows 2000. But when I try to run it, it automatically pops up the Install DirectX 5.0 screen. When I say Install Now it shows everything installed except for Direct3D which says "Not Installed". If I say "ReInstall DirectX" it says setup completed successfully. But of course, nothing has changed and if I try to run the game I get the same thing again. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,

- Matt

I checked the compatibility list again and it says "DX5 patch". Can anyone tell me what that means? I don't see any patches for DX5 listed in the Patches page.

Thanks,

- Matt

You need to create a dummy "dsound.vxd" file in the \WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory.

Philipp

that didnt work bud or maybe I did something wrong????

How do I create that dummy file? HEY dont roll your eyes at me son

Local

[This message has been edited by LocalHero (edited 18 November 1999).]

hey phil I have a real one? ummmm wtf do I do bro???

Its not very important but I really like those games smile.gif

Local

Well guess what I got Curse of Monkey Island to start up, I did this by copying an old version of DDHELP.EXE into my system32 directory. I don't know why I tried this or why it worked but it did, now the launcher lets me get past the annoying "You must install DirectX" screen and lets me play the game. But, now I'm having real problems with sound, after a few minutes of gameplay the sound sticks and starts looping/chopping, sounds like a skipping record. Can anyone help me out???

Thanks

Matt