Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Buffy283

can't copy file

I just feel dumb as dirt, but i have files to copy...i'm new to mandrake 9.1...i have to copy them from floppy to /usr/local/bin folder, so i open like if it was explorer so i can see the files at the right then drag/drop then to my folder at left...sorry i don't remember the exact message(I've been on my 1st install all day) but i have these choices;cancel,skip or skip all. How can i copy them?

If someone could tell me how to remove all the password i have to enter every 3 seconds i would be very greatfull!!! Thanks! laugh

Perhaps I am missing the point, but what files are you trying to copy to /usr/local/bin? This area is generally for executable files. If they are just regular files, you should be copying them to the /home directory. Are you logged in as user or root?

I am downloading Mandrake 9 as we speak, but the copy errors are related to permissions for the directory that you are attempting to copy to. In most distros, you can use the file manager in superuser mode to copy to other than user directories.

What are the circumstances that the password problem is coming up? On it's own or when you are trying to execute a program.

These files are for me to be able to connect to the net; making of "access manager" this is recommanded by my ISP "Downloading and installing Access Manager for Linux"(excerp from ISP)

For the password thing; Every so often when i try to look/go in something it asks me for root password or user password...the point is that i'm the only user on that comp so there is no need for password...anywhere...i would like to be able to click and go everywhere i want, without entering login or password.

While i'm here; i'm dual boot windowsXP/mandrake9.1...i can only boot in windows...when i try to boot on linux it asks me for a login password(another one darnit) that is related to my ISP...that by the way is NOT even installed????? it looks like this

sympatico login:

i enter login the i go to

password:

the i enter the password i think that goes with that and i always get bad/wrong/incorrect login???? Sorry if i'm vague but i saw so much new things this last couple of days i have a hard time to keep up with all this.

Thank you very much for helping me smile

I'm going to install mandrake today, so I can follow this with you.

Each distro (Mandrake, RedHat, etc..) can have a different way to allow access to certain files or programs. If I remember correctly, Mandrake asks you, on install, to choose a root and user password. I believe it also asks you to pick a security level.

There are two levels of logging in, root and user. Most distros also give you a choice of which level to login to. This is why it asked you to pick passwords for each level.

When Mandrake boots, you need to pick which level you want. If you choose user, this allows you general access to the system. Some programs are initiated at the root level. This is a security feature that protects your system from users or folks on the net who do not want to have access to your files and system. An example wpuld be if two people had accounts on the same nachine. You might want access to your files and not want the other person to have access to them, or certain programs.

So, for some programs to run, you have to put in the root password when asked. This can be changed, but more on that later.

So, I am assuming that you get into the graphical part of Mandrake, because you can click on icons to get to programs (you have a desktop)?

If not, this is one problem.

If so, what exactly is sympatico, your user ID in Mandrake, or ISP name? Or, is this your user name that you picked in Mandrake that you also have as your ISP username?

Oh, by the way, is this ISP dialup or cable?

Thanks, just for taking the time to answer laugh

My ISP name is Sympatico, this is a brand name. This is a high speed connection using dial-up to connect, just a little program called access manager.

Yes i use the graphical Mandrake, very much like windows...but way much harder to get into things. I haven't figure a way to install the drivers for my video card; GF4 Ti 4600. I try to get them(drivers) on a more recent disc, Mandrake disk are from a month of May magazine and the new drivers are from a June magazine...i know there are more recent drivers on Nvidia site but since i can't connect to the net with linux...

I begin to get a little understanding on password thing...user or root...in short i have to log in super user to do what ever i want and to see everything i want to see....not sure yet but i try to read more and go place to see where i can/can't go.

I'm writing you this with a brand new-never used(almost) Konqueror web browser...finally i did it!!!!!:D

I tried different thing with adsl and isdn and lan and i got it. I didn't use any file from my isp just the package provided on my linux cd. I'm so proud. Yet...i still got to configure my K-Mail that keep returning me this local host unknown thing.I'll get around this....how was your install?

You are getting it! Fun, isn't it!! laugh

You are correct, you really don't need any extra programs to connect to the ISP in your case.

Don't worry about other video drivers yet, since you have a desktop now. This means Mandrake has basically configured your video card.

K-mail....you need to find out at this point, these issues;

1, What your pop server is; for example mine is pop.nycap.rr.com

2. What your smtp server is - eg; smtp.nycap.rr.com

3. Have your login user name and password available.

You can get these settings from your ISP provider.

It sounds like they may be more willing than most to help with Linux, since they have an external package available.

Once you have them, then we will get Kmail up and going. Cause' if you did not do this during the install phase, you can do it manually, fairly easily now.

I'm going to install Mandrake this evening.

Maybe by the time you read this i'll figure a way outta this but receiving mail is not a problem....sending one is!?!?!?

ISP said that now they use pop8...outlook uses pop1 and run perfectly...i tried pop8 without any success....i didn't try pop1 though....it's mostly trails and errors in my case. The thing that bothers me is that my ISP uses pop servers; POP3 and under linux the only choice i have is POP?

My ISP looks good but they only tells you what you need but they don't offer any support what so ever...for linux. Basicly what they offer is a friendly start/stop to open and shut off the connection...i put my on auto login with linux and can easily connect by hand.

For my video card i would realy like to be able to install the "real" drivers...there is a ping-pong game in linux and oh my god this reminds me of my old-old P100 mhz...lol!

Good Luck with your install!!!

P.S. Forgive me if i'm not so good in english(choice of words and syntax) i'm french...

I can't get over this....i can't send mail it says; could not connect to host, and it says The following transport protocol was used...what's the host and protocol....sounds like dumb question but i tried everythign and it doesn't work

Host should be "sympatico.ca" and protocol should be "smtp1.sympatico.ca" got it from the book they give to connect...still nothing... ;(

Finally i can send mail....using.........Mozilla Mail.....KMail with the same info does not want to send anything....go figures!!!!! frown

Great! Sorry for the delay. If you want to keep Mozilla as the mail handler, that is fine. You are on the right path with K-mail, but there are a few other settings that you probably need under the settings>configure kmail>identities and network settings . Your 90% there! Let me know.

ok for the delay i installed Mandrake too i know what you mean...see my other post for new ummm ummm problem!!! I'm about to go back to windows only....everytime you try something with linux it's dependencies, config,new files, old files, command line that have just no end to it ;( looks fun at start but now i don't know if i'll be able to hang on to this!!!

Hi Buffy283, I'm new with linux and I have a similar configuration kt3 ultra maxtor 80gb and ata 133 but I cannot install mandrake 9.1 I have a message error that says me to control my haedware configuration!!

Can you help me??

Thanks

mimoiol

Hello mimoiol; try to post your message as a new topic, i'm too new with linux to know what it means....sorry:-(

copy it like this in the trminal:

cp thisisthefile.pl /var/etc

cp = copy

thisisthefile.pl = the source

/var/etc = the destanation

laugh I can see your answer to this post because i checked the box "notify me when a reply is posted" coz i gave up on linux maybe 2-3 days after i post this....think about it; windows xp home full version goes for what? 125$ you know where i'm going with this?!?!?!?!

When I first started with Linux, I can't tell you how many times I gave up and came back to it. Coming from a Windows environment, Linux is, well.. a bitch to learn! There, I've said it! smile It's like trying to learn how to fly an airplane based on your experience behind the wheel of a Toyota! Both vehicles can take you places, but it is as impractical to take an airplane down to the corner drugstore, as it is to use a Toyota to get you overseas.

I guess Xp is around $125.00 now, I don't know. But I do know that with Microsoft it never ends with the purchase of just the operating system. With Windows, you have to buy lots of software, (which comes bundled with other software you may not want or need!), and then when you got everything relatively the way you want it, you constantly have to worry about getting viruses each and every moment, and McAffee and Norton, and running defrag and disk checks and blue screens and "You've performed an illegal operation!" (Yes, I've used XP and it crashed with me on several occasions) et cetera, et cetera ad infinitum ad nauseam...

I can certainly understand feeling "It just isn't worth the aggravation", because I felt it then, and occasionally do now. I'm glad I stuck it out though because I now know what Linux is capable of, and I'm liberated from Microsoft.. smile

I think that this thread may be an infinte one but let's try it anyway.

I know my way around comps, i built my last one by myself, i learn on the 2 previous ones. To tell you the truth installing Mandrake was a walk in the park, not to mention the fact that it is almost free(15$ cdn with the magazine it came with), comparing to Windows. But the comparaisons pretty much end there.

I knew it would be a little more difficult to run Linux...but not that hard!!!!! I didn't even know if my GForce was linux compatible until i actualy saw drivers for it on NVidia web site, coz the linux compatibility chart wasn't been updated since may 1995(i exagerate a bit here but nontheless) at least the one i checked on a "OH SO GOOD Linux site", what i'm saying here is support is kinda hard to simply just find, and when you're a beginner, support is very very important. Almost any 3 years old with a bit of patience can find answers on Microsoft knowledge database.

I know it's my fault, but i wasn't even able to boot mandrake at the end for something i didn't even know....i was stuck with a kinda dos black screen, no gui would show up, while i was trying just to install my video card drivers. I had enough of the video installing on my hands, i just couldn't manage any error of my part, so little it may be.

You must know how it is just to write a command line to say to Linux "open that thing there", this can be a nightmare. You have to have basic knowledge of some sort...not with Windows!!!! Who said you had to know how a refrigerator works to use it???? coz let me tell you a LOT of peoples out there would have sour milk.

I got a blue screen once in a year and a half, i was trying to empty my recycle bin and windows wasn't fully started. I bought Plus! for windows because i wanted to,little game i there you can't find anywhere, i also bought the service pack 1, even if i'm on dsl it takes too much time, since i format once a year, it's a time saver.

I'm a gamer...when will i be able to play Max Payne 2 on linux??? Medal of Honor??? Doom3???

Quote:
I think that this thread may be an infinte one but let's try it anyway.
LOL! Agreed!
Quote:
I know my way around comps, i built my last one by myself, i learn on the 2 previous ones. To tell you the truth installing Mandrake was a walk in the park, not to mention the fact that it is almost free(15$ cdn with the magazine it came with), comparing to Windows. But the comparaisons pretty much end there.
You are right in that they cannot be compared. Here again it's like comparing an airplane to a Toyota. I used Mandrake 9.0 for over a year. I cut my teeth on 8.2, (talk about difficult!). I tried Mdk 9.1 and 9.2 and decided, for me, both were a big step down from 9.0. That's why I switched to RH 9.
Quote:
I knew it would be a little more difficult to run Linux...but not that hard!!!!! I didn't even know if my GForce was linux compatible until i actualy saw drivers for it on NVidia web site, coz the linux compatibility chart wasn't been updated since may 1995(i exagerate a bit here but nontheless) at least the one i checked on a "OH SO GOOD Linux site", what i'm saying here is support is kinda hard to simply just find, and when you're a beginner, support is very very important. Almost any 3 years old with a bit of patience can find answers on Microsoft knowledge database.
3 really good sites for the Linux beginner are this one, LinuxQuestions.org and Justlinux.com. You can find just about every solution to problems at one of these sites. As for Gforce, I run one too and if I want to upgrade the "drivers" all I do is exit Xwindows, pull up a terminal as root and type:

nvidia-installer --update [enter]

Done. Now how easy is it in Windows..? wink

Quote:
I know it's my fault, but i wasn't even able to boot mandrake at the end for something i didn't even know....i was stuck with a kinda dos black screen, no gui would show up, while i was trying just to install my video card drivers. I had enough of the video installing on my hands, i just couldn't manage any error of my part, so little it may be.
One of the reasons I swithced to RH, is for this very same thing you are experiencing..
Quote:
You must know how it is just to write a command line to say to Linux "open that thing there", this can be a nightmare. You have to have basic knowledge of some sort...not with Windows!!!! Who said you had to know how a refrigerator works to use it???? coz let me tell you a LOT of peoples out there would have sour milk.
Anything worth while is going to take time to learn. I used to hate opening a terminal, but now that I've learned how to use it, I love it! Yes Windows is easy, but I for one, Don't buy cars with the hood welded shut. You can't really repair windows if it mucks up on you, mostly you have to just do a complete reinstall and pray at least some of your files are still there, if you didn't get a chance to back them up.
Quote:
I got a blue screen once in a year and a half, i was trying to empty my recycle bin and windows wasn't fully started. I bought Plus! for windows because i wanted to,little game i there you can't find anywhere, i also bought the service pack 1, even if i'm on dsl it takes too much time, since i format once a year, it's a time saver.
There are no perfect operating systems, but some are more perfect than others.. wink My brother-in-law uses XP and has since it came out. He is a very meticulous computer user and makes sure he has the latest virus definitions and such. Last weeend his system went *poof*!! His wife's brother who is a Windows/computer expert, and runs networking and servers for a major bank, said that somehow a virus "just got through!" That's not good enough for me! Linux is far more secure than Windows, and it feels great to be able to go to bed at night knowing that! smile
Quote:
I'm a gamer...when will i be able to play Max Payne 2 on linux??? Medal of Honor??? Doom3???
I'm a gamer too and happily run Team Fortress, Half-Life and all it's mods, Trespasser, Starcraft, and a few others with Winex3, and am very happy with their performance under Linux. Max Payne gets a 5 out of 5 for play from Transgaming .com!

Quote:
As for Gforce, I run one too and if I want to upgrade the "drivers" all I do is exit Xwindows, pull up a terminal as root and type:

nvidia-installer --update [enter]

now there you're just talking about "update" i was talking about "installation".....2 very different things...i did update 3-4 times, it's easy, but try to install these drivers?!?!?!?!?! that's what made me turn back to windows only, as i was never able to install.

Quote:
Last weeend his system went *poof*!! His wife's brother who is a Windows/computer expert, and runs networking and servers for a major bank, said that somehow a virus "just got through!"

I've been around on the web....and i mean around *wink* *wink* I never caught or accidently downloaded something to make my comp go poof like you said...if a virus gets in,it's because you let it in. I began surfing in 97-98, i'm using grisoft Free anti-virus since "last summer". I'm pretty sure that major company are responsible for 50% at least of all the viruses out there. It's just a matter of time....Linux will be kicked in the behind with viruses.....mark my words!!!!

Quote:
Team Fortress, Half-Life and all it's mods, Trespasser, Starcraft, and a few others

Simply not enough...few others?!?!?!? not enough. The price of computers parts nowadays are realy cheap...remember the "ol" days...lol!!! i remember paying 535$ for my BIG p2 266mmx *CPU ONLY* you can almost get a complete system for that price today....my point is; I have to be able to play anything right away...i'm a big baby i know frown
........... laugh

*MAYBE* big big maybe i would consider trying RH......maybe...dunno, like they say "if it ain't broken......." and my windows is in tip-top shape. I read quite a bit of your conversation with "NEUS" the one with the browser problem.... i don't want to be that guy. You seem to be very active on that site Dapper, very patient. You will have a good place in Linux heaven.... wink Keep up the good work.

Quote:
...now there you're just talking about "update" i was talking about "installation".....2 very different things...i did update 3-4 times, it's easy, but try to install these drivers?!?!?!?!?! that's what made me turn back to windows only, as i was never able to install.
Actually Buffy283, Installing the drivers to begin with are just as simple. You just download the driver, and from a terminal (not in X) run:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.mun [enter] smile

Quote:
...if a virus gets in,it's because you let it in. I began surfing in 97-98, i'm using grisoft Free anti-virus since "last summer". I'm pretty sure that major company are responsible for 50% at least of all the viruses out there.
Yes ultimately he did let it in, of course accidentally. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to remembering things, so I know how scary it can be not to remember something this important! laugh
Quote:
It's just a matter of time....Linux will be kicked in the behind with viruses.....mark my words!!!!
I believe you're right. However once a problem is recognized, the difference would be, with Linux I can shut my box down and stand a very good chance of fixing the problem with a rescue disk, (provided of course that I have a solution..)
Quote:
Simply not enough...few others?!?!?!? not enough.
I believe all the games you mentioned will work very well under Winex, along with many others. Check it out here.
Quote:
I read quite a bit of your conversation with "NEUS" the one with the browser problem.... i don't want to be that guy.
It took five pages of back and forth posts but in the end he was successful. But you know what? Neus learned more about Linux in those three days than I was able to figure out in a month! Installing Java and flash are really simple operations once you learn how. The next time Neus needs to install them, he'll have them both working within 10 minutes. He learned a lot, not because I tried to help him, but because he showed unusual tenacity, patience, and perseverance in making it happen! smile

Agreed. Linux is not for everyone. Only you can decide if the trade off in time spent learning it is, in the end, worth the advantages of knowing and using it. For me, it was. If you ever wanna try RH 9 give me a hollar! wink

Quote:
You just download the driver, and from a terminal (not in X) run:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.mun [enter]

OMG i was just ready to bitch back at you...and then...got a little spark!!!!! MyBad..... I was never able to edit the XF86CONFIG FILE....just the readme file on NVidia is at least 3 arm lenght long. That's what got me tired of Linux.

I will look at the compatibility link you gave me...heck we never know...lol!!!

Hi guys! I've been reading this thread and I had a few thoughts:

1. Support. I once had a job where I had to keep things running in Windows, which means I had to go to Microsoft Customer support - 99% of my questions resulted in the same answers "Your problem is due to anything other than Microsoft products." OK, I'm exagerating a bit, but it usually took me 3 to 5 days to provide enough stuff that the M$ 'team' would finally tell me what I needed to do. In Linux, support is, well, enough that I have had problems deciding which one to use. It is available from all distro sites, hundreds of forums, the Linux Documentation Project, and more, more. more!

2. Most Windows users today started with Win98 or above. They have never seen a DOS prompt. I started with a machine that used the BASIC programming language as an operating system. (TI 99/4a, Commodore Vic 20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Radio Shack color computer 1, Tandy color computer 2, Tandy color computer 3) My first true operating system was CPM. My first PC was a used IBM PC (MSDOS v2.11). I then built my first computer on my own, a 16 mHz 286. It used MSDOS v3.33 through v6.22. I switched to a 386, then to an AMD (I've never, ever ran a Pentium of any sort size, shape or type...). I had to go to Windows because of my job (I acted as a sort of software teacher, and I needed to know how Windows worked...) my first Windows was v3.11 (Windows for Workgroups). I used it at work and studied if I had to when I was at home. I never installed Win95 at home - went straight to Win98, and now I use 98SE - the only one I ever had to pay for. I have a free Windows XP from work, but I don't use it, for various reasons. When I went to Linux, one thing I wanted was to have a DOS style screen. Mandrake 8.x worked OK, but it automatically started as a gui, and I messed it up trying to get to the shell prompt. It was a year (plus or minus a couple months) before I decided to try again.

3. Linux currently is very similar to the way things worked in M$ way back when DOS was in charge. (There are differences - mostly the names of commands and how useful each one is compared to the DOS ones.) I like the ideas - in some versions of DOS that I was able to use I could get several gui's - M$ pretty much put them all out of business. I like the fact that I can choose at least half a dozen gui programs (KDE, Gnome, IceWM, etc.), I can run most programs in Linux either in the terminal or the gui mode. If I decide to get back to programming, I can download the source and change things around. (I may actually get the Gnome source one of these days to change it so that I can have a different background image for each desktop...)

4. The first time I ever heard of Linux was in the early '90s. There was very little software that I wanted, so I didn't try Linux. The amount of software for Linux these days is increasing quickly. Soon there will be no need to use Windows just to run certain programs, and the few Windows emulators will slowly come to an end because people will write software for Linux just as they do for Windows and Mac.

5. In time, computers will be as different from the ones we have now as the ones we have are different from the ones I started out with. As a result, the so called Linux 'newbies' will be like me - knowledgeable enough from modern OS and software to be able to learn the new OS's and software in the future.

If you are a Linux 'newbie', and you keep at it and learn it as best as you can, you will be able to make the changes in the future. If not, you will be the same as those people who cannot figure out how to see if your Toyota/Aircraft is working right... shocked