Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
blueworm

Boycott wine/wineX

Don't buy into the propaganda. People should be able to make their own choices on the Internet.

You are right the article is propaganda and people should be allowed to make there own choices in internet. Nevertheless this does not mean that what is said in the article is false.

Some good points, some bad. True, WineX is not anything more than an emulation layer, and will never get the sort of speed that native games would have. So what? I'd rather take the hit on performance and be able to play the game, then wait three years to get the game.

As for the licensing, this is a catch 22. In order to get the games running, you need the proprietary code for the CDs, which has to be licensed to Transgaming. You can't open that to the community at large, since you don't hold the copyright, even if you are marrying code that uses a Modified WINE. I don't think this was much of an issue when transgaming started out, but now everything is being produced on protected CD's, so that would necessitate the change of license.

AS for the code being open: it's on CVS, isn't that open enough?

Now, as for WAREZ guys-show of hands, how many of you pay for your distros? That's what I thought. You can't have it both ways-you can't want everythying free, and keep out the warez guys. They want everything for free too. I don't see the real difference here-maybe you guys can enlighten me on shades of grey.

The way I see it, WineX is providing a vital service, one that Linux native gaming companies such as Loki failed to do.

who cares i know i beleive in something called freewill i know i havennt tried it yet but hey people have the right to try it if they want

I'm not much of a gamer. My favorite is a DOS based game called "Snipes" which is older than Windows 1.0, I think! I kind of like Doom and Quake, but they were way, way too expensive! (Example: The first time I decided to go out and buy Doom after playing the shareware demo, it cost $70. I had just bought Windows 98 for $90. A game that would last for maybe two months for almost as much as an OS that could last for several years? No way! I waited about five months and bought Doom for $10 on a clearance sale.) The only times I have heard of Transgaming is in occasional posts on one of the boards I read and post to. I have many other things that I use computers for, and the only interest I have had in Wine or Winex has been as a possible way to run some of the programs that have not yet been ported to Linux or have no decent replacements for them. At present, there are only three such programs that I still cannot find, and they are necessary for me. None of them work with Wine, unfortunately, so Win98 is still on my box, and I don't intend to buy Winex. Wine is installed and functional on my Debian, but all I've done with it is try various M$ programs... ;(