Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
yitzhakbg

Intel 865 chipset motherboard

Can anyone tell me about the

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-L or similar motherboards based on the Intel 865P,PE,G chipset? I am considering using one in a new Linux box, but I don't want any unpleasant surprises.

Thanks,

Yitzhak

You may have trouble with some of the hardware in there, like AGPGART (for hardware accelerated 3D, 2D through the DRI should work just fine), SATA and RAID but stuff like USB, Firewire, PATA and even sound *should* work without a hitch. I can't confirm any of this so you might want to hunt around a bit more and see what else you can come up with.

Quote:
You may have trouble with some of the hardware in there, like AGPGART (for hardware accelerated 3D, 2D through the DRI should work just fine), SATA and RAID but stuff like USB, Firewire, PATA and even sound *should* work without a hitch. I can't confirm any of this so you might want to hunt around a bit more and see what else you can come up with.

Where would you reccomend looking? I've been all over and can't find anything conclusive.

I just did a quick search of the Gentoo forums and came across this thread which mentions that apart from AGPGART (which can be made to work with a little fiddling) and ICH5-R hardware SATA RAID, everything should work fine, even sound (as long as you use the ALSA intel8x0 module). Your mileage may vary if you use something other than Gentoo but that at least indicates its possible to get it working OK.

Quote:
I just did a quick search of the Gentoo forums and came across this thread which mentions that apart from AGPGART (which can be made to work with a little fiddling) and ICH5-R hardware SATA RAID, everything should work fine, even sound (as long as you use the ALSA intel8x0 module). Your mileage may vary if you use something other than Gentoo but that at least indicates its possible to get it working OK.

Thanks for the pointer. I found a lot of useful info on Google groups also. It would appear that it can work without any major foulups. I'm inclined to take the leap.