Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HacKnigHt

Older w2k builds

While trying to get d3d and opengl working on my w2k Pro, I've noticed that all other ppl is using higher builds than mine (2031). With 2031 only Glide will work (freespace 2 rocks)no d3d, and no (apparently) gl support (homeworld demo and q3test refused to run). I've tried with the V3000 inf files which are available from this site, but that won't help. I'm afraid my problem is not having a newer w2000 build. Is the 2031 build so nasty for d3d/gl gaming ? Is there anything I could do without having to grab another beta3 w2k build? (not to mention the fact that I have *not* another build :-( )

Sure, you bet.. I tried all modes... when set to 16bit, quake3 starts loading, screen goes gray, everything seems correct... and kaboom... "Quake3 has generated errors and will be closed.An error log is being generated". Now I've a nice 100+Mb USER.DMP file placed in c:\winnt :-)

HomeWorld demo will not work either. When I try to set a gl mode, an error msg is displayed within the game ("Unable to set selected video mode" message).

D3D is still a headache for me. No way. Rally2000 demo, for example, refuses to run saying that 'no d3d capable card detected'. I must be a terrible bonehead, or my NT build is too old (2031). Only glide works flawlessly. No gl/d3d (snif! :-( )

Kinda desperated... any help? Complete driver uninstall/reinstall, perhaps ?

HackNight..

I am having a problem different from you.. I can run Direct 3D and OpenGL games, but I can't run no Glide games.. what drivers you installed for your V3 ?? (I am using build 2114)

Hmmm boy this all to weird

Tell me more about your system HacKnigHt.

Boy you all think you all got problem try this COM H*ll Well I got my other phone line back that good but my modem is dead dog on IRQ3 3F8 COM1 my modem must share the same IRQ "you guest it, it a Diamond SupraSonic II 112k" both 2099 & 2114 are dead dog with com port's.

Had to go back to 2072 ahhhhh this s**k oh well there gose my mikephone "SBLive!".

By the way this would happing to a SMP system ?.

Now Q3 opengl is working. Surprisingly, it seems to run *way* slower than the linux mesaGL-on-top-of-glide version, which I tried just some days ago in the same machine. Driver matter, no doubt.

Anyway, D3D is still forbidden for me. Even following all the instructions, no game will detect that my machine has a d3d-compatible card. Even the 3dfx tab in video properties panel has the "Direct3d" button in gray, like it has no d3d installed at all. Homeworld opengl won't work either (strange ... q3 works ok, some GL plugins for winamp work too, but homeworld won't...). Nocturne fails too (disaster!) claiming that "a strange directx error happened. Contact your distributor".

Conclusion : my w2k build (2031) is too older and has no correct d3d support built in, since all the other ppl is reporting successful attemps with newer builds. Shame.

Snif.

Yup that the one downside about Quake3 it is a bit slower under Windows2000 then NT4 is but you have to take in count for no ture blue Windows2000 Glide, OpenGL ICD drivers from 3dfx.

Oh that video properties panel has the "Direct3d" button being gray don't worry about it had nothing to do it.

Hmm the only thing I can think of

is you not runing the build in Banshee drivers drivers on the Voodoo3

Take look at this http://www.wavecomputers.net/~toste/screenshot/Voodoo3.jpg

as you can see Mini VDD saying Banshee

what version is your ?

Sure, you bet. My miniVDD says "voodoo3.sys", and the main driver says voodoo3.dll . So must I install banshee ones for the thing to work? Duh... the first question that arise for me is where to find those banshee drivers... should I go for the 3dfx site ?

This is strange, since I followed all the instructions... downloaded the v3wn4.exe and the ..._ICD_166.exe file. So i'm not choosing the correct driver (shame!). Well, I'll go for the banshee ones and I'll tell you more. Many thanks in advance, man.

I try e-mail you after I saw the pic you send my but the e-mail get return back to me hmm.