Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dgale

Dungeon Keeper 2

I have successfully installed Dungeon Keeper 2 on my Windows 2000 system. But . . . everytime I try to run the game nothing happens.

Well not exactly nothing. The screen goes black while it swithces resolution, then drops me back to the desktop. I have tried manually switching resolution to 256 Colors 800x600 (as suggested by DKII help) and then starting the game, but still no luck.

I am running Windows 2000 Server, RC-1, build 2072. I have a Creative Labs Voodoo2 Banshee.

Anyone have a suggestion or some setting I should check?

This is how you install Dungeon Keeper 2 under Windows XP SP2:

1. Full install Dungeon Keeper 2.

2. Apply patch 1.7.

(if you during installation get an error message saying "Can't run 16-bit Windows Program. Cannot find file..."

then go to Start - Run... and type regedit. Make sure the following key is disabled (set to 0):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation=0)

3. Install Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 (use Google to find it - it's free from Microsoft).

4. Run the program and create a new database.

5. Click Fix.

6. Name of the program to be fixed: Dungeon Keeper 2 - Name of the vendor for this program: Bullfrog Productions.

7. Program file location: Browse for the location of Dkii.exe in gamedir.

8. Operating System Modes: None - Click Next.

9. Compatibility Fixes: select EmulateSlowCPU - Click Next.

10. Click Finish.

11. Choose File and Install and then exit the program.

12. Create a shortcut for Dkii.exe, choose properties and add -32biteverything in the Target commandline

(it should look something like this: "C:\Games\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe" -32biteverything).

13. Run the shortcut to start the game.

Okay, here's the deal LPH, I use your instructions, but when trying to play the game with the "-32biteverything" in the target line, none of the words in the menu show up.

LPH, I tried applying the fix that you suggested using the compatibility toolkit, but mine doesn't have the EmulateSlowCPU option as a compatibility fix.

Is there anything you can suggest?

Thanks in advance