Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TymbrWlf

Not Terribly Lively, Are We?

I'm a WinDoze user who is seriously evaluating a move to Linux. I've beeen a regular at NTCompatible.com for a few years now and when I heard about a Linux compatible sister-site, I was ecstatic, because I knew how helpful NTCompatible had been for me in getting away from Win9x/WinME (what garbage!) and migrating to Win2K/WinXP. Even most Linux users I've talked to agree; if you must use Windows, use Win2K/WinXP. Just avoid Win9x/WinME like the plague. It's total crap.

But alas, my enthusiasm has waned because it seems that people just ain't coming here. I've told many people about it, but maybe I'm not enough. Maybe there aren't enough people spreading the word about this site. I'd hate to see this great concept go away because I depend on it everyday. frown

I know that there are 5 billion Linux Web sites, but if this site can do for Linux what NTCompatible has done for WinNT/Win2K/WinXP, there could be alot of folks willing to give it a shot. I guess I'm just pushing for a bit more input from people. It's like the phrase "...And the crowd goes mild...". Am I the only one who wants what this site can offer? I hope not... frown

I am thinking of taking the jump to Mandrake and am disappointed that it's not more busy here. I guess the best thing we can do is post and hope others do the same thing. When I first joined NTCompatible a few years ago it was considerably slower and then it picked up as Windows 2000 hit beta and was adopted by more people. I think the same thing needs to happen with Linux.

it doesn't have to be that way, we just need something to talk about like for instance the new Mandrake 9.0 which is great and is recommendable for would be Linux users "meaning very easy to set up and not Lindows'ish", perhaps also redhat 8.0 but that isn't out yet hmm mandrake 9.0 isn't out officially either but you can aquire it laugh

anyways just ask away if you have a question and im sure the experienced linux users in here will be glad to help.

Don't worry. LinuxCompatible isn't going to die any time soon. wink

I'll start posting more *nix stuff when I get my dually back up and running again this week.

Still debating on making it my fileserver or not...I probably will but will make it *nix and use FTP to transfer my files over the network. Netbios is soooooo crappy. smile

I finally got a spare machine at work that I can slick and dedicate to Linux (Instead of dual booting; I really don't like to dual boot), and I dl'ed Mandrake 9.0 two days ago (the final, not the RC), and I'm totally itching to get it on this box so I can see how it does on my Win2K Domain. But I've been so busy that I can't find the time for it. Things keep coming up (You know how it goes wink ) I know that once I get started, I'll be hitting this site hard for info.

But I'm stoked about getting away from M$, both at home and at work (I'm the Admin). I just have to thoroughly evaluate any solution that I recommend. I've got 15 users locally and 70 users company wide that need to be able to perform their tasks. They range from exceptionally computer savvy (rare) to not knowing how to get on the internet without using AOL (very common).

I've been interested in alternative OS's for a long time but it's only been recently that I've finally lit a fire under my butt to stop thinking about it and do something.

I'm really hoping the Linux Compatible can play a major role in me doing this.

Quote:
But alas, my enthusiasm has waned because it seems that people just ain't coming here.

We're here, but just asleep... Shh... laugh

Okay I'm a n00b too when it comes to Linux, but I wouldn't go with Mandrake anytime soon. Here's all the Distro's I've tried.

Redhat 6.2/7.0/7.1/7.2/7.3:

- Installs easy, but don't install any other software unless you do it at install and hopefully it's on the CD.

Mandrake 8.0rc2/8.0rc3/8.0:

- Not bad, but same as Redhat. I'll be honest... didn't give it a fair shot because it was very buggy.

Suse 8.0

- Installs easy, but don't install any other software unless you do it at install and hopefully it's on the CD.

Gentoo 1.4rc1:

- Way to hard!!!

Debian 3.0r0:

- Why didn't anyone tell me about this distro earlier.

Debian may take a little longer to install but it is well worth it when you need to update your system or if you want to try out some new software. The only complaint I ever had about any distro was installing software. I would install some RPM and the program wouldn't work. Really frustrating! Gentoo was the first distro to open my eyes that it wasn't that hard on other distro's. I found that the install for Gentoo was for no n00b though! So a co-worker introduced me to Debian. It is easy enough for a n00b like myself to enjoy. The setup takes a little longer (because you download all the latest packages from the internet) but... It's still all automated and it's not too hardcore.

I helped a friend install some cheezy program called "mc" AKA Midnight Commander on his RedHat 7.2 box last night through SSH. For all those who don't know mc is the ultimate n00b program to use through SSH. Anyway installing mc on his box took two hours! Finding dependencies and finally finding the right dependency after two hours is why I stopped using RedHat! On Debian I just typed "apt-get install mc" and answered "y" for Yes to one question and everything worked perfectly! All in under 2 minutes.

So I have a couple questions out there for all the 1337. Are there other disto's out there that do this? I was brainwashed by RedHat for so long I am just now opening my eyes to just how cool Linux can and will be. I read distrowatch plenty to see the reviews of distros but I haven't found any like Gentoo or Debian.

-skeep

One quick addition since we are the ntcompatible converts. Can you guys still post the hardware news/information here as well so we can just visit this site? That is unless you need the traffic on the other site for banner placement.

-skeep

where do you see the hardware reviews? I dont see anything about the new AMD's being announced or anyone reviewing it!

-skeep