Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pythagoras

Alternative Cooling Methods

Ok I wanted to get some viewpoints from those with experience. First of all I have 2 things I have done or will do for my sys. As of now I got my case open w/ a box fan and a sorta air filter for dust. What I want to do is use the outdoor winter air to cool my comp. First off- has anyone tried either of these? Second of all, does anyone have any other weird ways they cool their systems?

Thx

Use outside air to cool the cpu? might have a moisture problem there. Just get an ALPHA PEP66 38CFM Fan/Heatsink combo (about $40 USD) and more fans.

The moisture problem can be taken care of I believe by using a catch and maybe a dehumidifier, besides it cant be that different from the humidity inside, unless ofcourse ins raining.

put it near a window ?? my computer is about 4 feet from my window, low window too, old house, windows about 3 feet off ground (comp is to the left or window) and after it being on all nigh t both my monitor and box are cold to the touch , no moisture probs i have yet noticed nor should there be any smile so if u can, sit it near an open window in a way that if it rains etc etc ti won't get wet smile thas what i did, and in the summer i move it about 2 feet furher to sit beside the a/c vent smile

------------------

=========================

ICQ me!!!

========Specs========

ASUS P3V4X

VARIOUS O/C SETTINGS

PIII 533 @ 640 133fsb

PIII 533 @ 584 150fsb

384mb PC133

20gIBM 7200 rpm

40g MAxtor 7200rpm

Sound Blaster LIVE!!! Platinum

ATI All-In-Wonder 128 32mb 2x Agp

19'Samsung SyncMaster 950p

Logitech Wireless keyboard/Mouse

Creative 52x cdrom

Richo CD-R/RW MP7040a 4/4/32

Epson Stylus colour 760

Cable modem

and i networked with a MAC G3, now sharing printer/hardrives and internet.

WOW, aren't i special now laugh

AND iT ALL WORKS GRRRREAT!!!'

Over at [H], there is a guy from Alaska who uses drer tubing to direct outside air directly onto his CPU. I never heard him speak of moisture problems, only that his hdds were getting too cold and freezing up.

-bZj