Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EddiE314

Is the PC Dead?

Well is it? Bill Gates and countless other have deemed the PC "dead". Goning on to say that internet appliances/all-in-one's are the wave of the future. What are your Opinions on this? Personally, i find it a great accomplishment to put together a PC from scratch that i have worked on and planned for. Its like breathing life into a few pounds of gold, copper, and silicon. I don't want a little palm pilot to be my main source of the internet and/or computing use. I like my little beige box with ribbon cable hanging out of it, i appreciate it a hell of alot more than i would an All-in-One, for the main reason that i built it and i can service it, i don't have to worry about taking it to a computer shop and paying $50-$100 USD per hour for something i can do myself in less time for free. Give me your feedback.

If Bill Gates has declared the PC dead, then his company probably own't be far behind.

What do you think MS would do if the PC industry vanished? The X-BOX would be their main consumer product if they had to stop all PC related stuff.

The PC will keep going for ages. It always has ups and downs, and manufacturers are running on tighter and tighter margins, but they always seem to pull through.

Internet appliances will only work if you have a logical connection between the Internet and the appliance.

A Microwave that lets you send emails is pointless. A freezer that keeps track of the food you take out and can call the supermarket and have some more shopping delivered for you is more worthwhile.

The All-in-one devices are similar. The ideal device is something that combines diary/address book/email/voice and has some PC connectivity as well.

The problems come when people have stuff like mobile video phones. What's the point? The network isn't capable of supporting it yet, most people don't have any need for it in their homes/offices, so why would they want it whilst walking around or driving in their car?

If people can combine sensible products into a new one, then they are likely to do well. Otherwise people won't bother to buy it and we'll be forever shackled to our desks.

PCs are not dead. Appliances are fine for some internet usage and email. But you can't run CAD/CAM apps on them, or graphics apps, or much of anything requiring real horsepower. In addition, what do you think the appliances are connecting to? Servers? Most of those are PCs on steroids running NTx/Linux. There isn't a huge amount of clustering going on yet, and not everybody can get some Solaris-driven behemoth.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I think nothing is really dead, I think USB is gonna be allowing a great deal of flexibility to the pount that nearly everything could become USB, (even maybe mobos) so that any upgrade someone wants to make to any system wiil be fast and painless. so So in a sense PCs will become indistinguishable from consoles with USBs and so on. Another thing is, the PC is winning! Consoles and web appliances are being forced to be like pcs in upgradability via USB, while PCs are staying the same.

[This message has been edited by Pythagoras (edited 19 January 2001).]

USB 2.0 is crap. why flood the market with another clone of Firewire, usb2 and firwire are about the same speed, why not just go with FW? I dunno, Steve Jobs was about the only one to say that the PC wasn't dead, all of this PC is dead, PC isn't dead happened at CES 2001 btw.

I think the reason that USB 2.0 might be favored over Firewire is the fact that you can link a lot of items up together through USB hubs.

You might be able to do this with Firewire as well...but I've honestly never seen a 1394 hub..

And if you look around...at external drives(CDRW being the key ones I've seen), the USB variants are about 2/3 the price of a comparable firewire drive.

------------------

My PC is warm. I think our fire wall is acting up.

Part Wrong, Part Rigth INFERNO2000

Both USB 2.0 & Firewire have hub & even repeater available & about the same speed to.

How ever the romer gose that USB 2.0 may not be backwords compatible with USB 1.1 devices.

One good thing that Firewire has over USB is you can daisy chin devices on Firewire

but some what limited Cable length & number of node you can have.

http://www.fwdepot.com/

Pythagoras USB is 127 devices,

Firewire is 56 devices.

Beside who going use that mine devices ?.