Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imtim83

Does anyone know how to speed up win2k pro?

I am on a intel celeron 366mhz , 128mb of ram ,and a 8.4 gig HD frown

its sorta slow you know.

But i was wondering if there is anyway to speed up win2k pro on my computer? i know the bootup and shutdown is always slower but i mean like in win2k itself. Win2k starts like slowing down on me with like many programs open like about 3 to 5 sometimes. And my games take alittle while to load up sometimes. Is there anyway to help win2k run faster on my computer right now thru vcache or something?

i am on the NTFS file system by the way.

I just wish i could get the feel of win98 SE again where its not as sluggish sorta. I am not saying win2k is bad or anything because it isnt. Win2k is very stable and great OS compared to win98.

I like wish to get the feel of win98 again in speed and games on my computer but still get the win2k stabilty.

but i dont know if thats possible

Any Help is very appreicated

Please Reply

Thanks

Tell us about your hardware (in detail), and your setup. We can try to point you in the right direction.

Cheers laugh

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

Ok well i have a Voodoo 3 2000 pci video card , 366mhz intel celeron , 128mb of ram , maxtor 8.4 gig 5400 rpm old HD, 32x max CD-Rom drive , HP 9110i 8x 4x 32x IDE CD-RW ,quickcam VC , Lexmark Z22 printer thats usb that i just put in , dont know what kind of speakers exactly , a 14 inch proview montior , onboard sound card frown , i did have a onboard video card but not i use that voodoo 3 2000 pci one like i said , Dlink DFE-530TX 10/100 Mbps ethernet card , and my cable modem with my cable connection.

I use my computer to play games , run software , surf the web , try demo software and games , chat , burn cds , etc. I am a power user i guess hehe.

Right now i only have about 3 gigs used up on my 8.4 gig HD

Ok well i have told you like everything i know that i have and use my computer for can you help now?

Any Help is very appreicated

Please Reply

Thanks smile

Try defragging your HD and add more memory. Those should speed up your computer. But if you have extra money then you should upgrade your processor.

well, I only have 128 MB of RAM running win2k...I'll have more, but it ain't a problem...one thing to try is to purchase a UDMA 33 cable for your hard drive and get that all hooked up, then enable DMA mode in windows 2000, that speeds things up and get a new processor, then defrag the drive. Should help. I noticed a difference with the cable though wink

Disable useless startup programs (MSN, ICQ, Norton Antivirus) and keep the amount of programs running in the taskbar down to a bare minimum. ICQ is major mem hog

More memory. Tried and true way to speed up Win2K.

I notice a great improvement when going from 128 to 256, and a 128MB module is only about $50 right now.

-bZj

What the other have told you is true, but if you are a gamer like myself, I strongly recommend buying a better video card. I myself had a vodoo card once and when I changed to a TNT 2 Ultra the difference was huge in games like Quake 2.

It's a different kind of grafic, with vodoo you get the smudgy, blurry grafix and TNT gives me a sharper picture that is much faster.

I recommend a Geforce 2 card which is currently the hottest one. Expensive though.

AND not to forget, if you get a riva besed grafix card, be sure to get the detonator drivers! The drivers that come with the card usually suck! so visit Nvidias home page and get the latest detonator driver available, for win 2K.

-Se ya on the other side!