Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nzaal

Suse 8.2 installation problems

Hi!

I recently downloaded the bootable Suse 8.2 cd-iso, but i'm having problems installing it. I want to install from a ftp server, and here's where my problem is, i need to load the network driver, i tink i got the network card right, but i have no clue what to do when it asks me for parameters!!

If someone could give me a hand i'd be grateful! smile

nZaal

HI

What do you mean by parameters?

Last time i did a suse install i got to chose the network card and setup the ip/ net mask and then installed.

Are you using a isa network card?

deano

When i choose a network card from the module list, it asks me for parameters.. I don't get to choose ip/mask. I'm using a pretty standard pci nic... don't remember the actual name/model atm.

I've tried all available installation methods, all with the same result.

have you tried leaving it blank?

I`ll see if i can find me ftp suse install disk and take a look.

cheers

deano

Nzaal is correct. On the usual questions asked about the dhcp you can accept the defaults, but I found for that the next two questions you have to have an actual IP address of a download source, as well as the ftp address to link to.

Also, I hope that you have Broadband, it takes a while!

If I find mine later, I will post them.

P.S.

Try and IP address of 140.221.9.138 and the following for the site address;

/pub/ftp.suse.com/i386/current/

I don't even get past dialogue box 1 m8... I select a module from the list, almost at random cause i don't know wich module is meant for my card, the module loads, then i get a box. I don't have it right infront of me, so i can't tell you exactly what it says. But i suspect it's something totally un-intelligeble...

Anyways.. I've installed RH 9 now, I got bored.. But MAN was that a mistake.. everything slowed down to a grinding halt frown Guess RH 9 doesn't like my 500Mhz PIII...

When installing the network module, it is very important that you know which driver supports your NIC.

What kind of NIC do you have?

If you have a Linksys NIC, then you can use the tulip driver without any parameters.

The D-Link NICs are listed.

If you have a Realtek based NIC, look at the numbers on the main chip on the NIC. Most of them are either RT8129 or RT8139. Those are listed in the NIC module listing.

Same story with the Intel, AMD, and 3Com based NICs. Look at your NIC to figure out which model number/chip number it uses and load the driver that most closely matches it. You very rarely will need to enter any additional parameters.

Once the module is loaded, then you can move on to the Start Installation option.

Hope this helps.