Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EddiE314

I need EVERYONE'S input on this.

You know what's great? Using your computer right after a clean install of an Operating System, its so responsive and quick, not to mention it gives you a good feeling that the Hard Drive isn't full and the OS is in perfect working order, the only problem is that if you're like me, you install a lot of programs and uninstall a lot as well and after awhile your drive gets worthless shared system file scattered on it along with a hell of a lot of fragmentation, to put this into perspective, my second computer has a 8.4GB hard drive with two partitions (C Drive is 6GB (ntfs) and D Drive is about 1.5GB (ntfs) Windows 2000 is installed on the C drive and Whistler 2257 is installed on the D Drive. All i'm worried about right now is the C Drive since I use Win2k a lot more than Whistler, Everyone knows as well as I do, you can defrag and defrag to your heart's content but it will never feel like a newly installed OS, right? Defrag is a Temporary fix, and i've never had much luck with the "uninstaller programs" so what is the best way? Should people

just Format their Hard drive (like me) or is there something out there that can help people, i know for example, i have 3 computers, 2 have burners and ZIP100 drives, so backing up really isn't that bad for me, but i know that many people don't have a burner or a ZIP drive, so what are they supposed to do about their "stuff"? I talk to many people and repair many people's computers for them and sometimes their computers are so full and/or screwed up that i have to tell them that they may need to format, and then I explain to them what formatting does....you could probably guess their reactions. I want the input of everyone on this one so your opinions would be very much appreciated, not just by me, but by those people out there without the ability to Back-up. Thanks.

I hear you on this one Eddie.

One thing that MS has done that could be of use is the system restore in WinME. My friend makes a copy of his system before installing anything, so he can always go back to how he was before, exactly.

Obviuosly, this is of little use to the NT croud, but a similar system would be a nice addition to 2K. If space wasn't a problem, I would suggest a Ghosting of your drive, right after you install everything necessary [video drivers, etc.]. Beyond this, I don't know of anyway to 'keep it clean'. Let me know if you come up with one.

-bZj

I have to agree, system restore would be very fricken useful. Expect System Restore in Whistler Personal anyways soon. About all I can say. :P

------------------

-------------------------

Because I can.....

-------------------------

NTBACKUP.EXE

i think this lets u back up all importan files including the registry

also u might wanna defrag pagefile.sys

get the tool att sysinternals.com