Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EddiE314

Need some opinions.

Ok, i'm on the road alot doing Networking and i have to have some way to check my mail as well as have something to play with, so i'm thinking about buying a Compaq Presario 1200 series notebook.

Celeron 566

32mb ram (buying an extra 64mb)

5gb hard drive

12.1" Active Matrix display

bulit-in 56k v90 modem

etc....etc...etc....

the price for the notebook with just 32mb ram is $999.00 US and if you want the extra 64mb ram you have to add $179.00 US.

Does it sound like a good deal? does anyone out there have a Compaq Notebook? with a 566MHz cpu and 96MB ram, i think i might put win2k on it (might be a little sluggish but oh well).

All depends on what you want to play on it. I have a Compaq Armada M700 with PII 400 288 meg RAM, 10 g HD, DVD, LS-120 and it works great for everything I want to run on it. Not so great for Quake II, III, Flight sims, Driving games, etc but AOE, AOE2, Tiger woods Golf 99, Links LS99 etc work very well. The video chipset is what can make the difference. Mine is the ATI Rage+ mobile.

Ed

Better make sure all the built-in hardware will work with Win2K first. The modem in my wife's 1240 Presario (233Mhz MMX Intel) will not work with Win2K. Compaq insists that her model notebook was intended for Win98 and refuses to put out a simple flash-BIOS upgrade that would make the modem work with Win2K.

Other than that, Win2K runs faster than Win98 on it.

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

Games aren't reaaly gonna be played on it, it has some crappy Trident card in it. All I know is that its a Compaq Presario 1200, i'll try to install win2k, anyone know if i'll get a Quick Restore Disk with it?

you will.

But burn it. Burn it burn it burn it.

Their Restore CDs tend to have at least 2 problems with them, namely missing applications(for mine, it was modem drivers)

When you get it, find out all the hardware you have, find drivers for it, and I guess software too...and download them. Restore from an MS Windows cd...not a restore. You'll be much better off, and their crap won't be on it(MAKE SURE TO LOOK FOR THEIR EASY ACCESS BUTTONS Software FIRST!)

I use my old compaq armada 7800 with win2k and it works better then my desktop.. I would recommend atleast 128 megs of memory on the notebook..

Hey,

i'm from Oz, so i don't know how the prices compare in US, but the Dell Inspiron's, with mobile Celerons are cheap for laptaps of their specs, and the come with 8M ATi Mobility M1 vid cards. (I think they do OGL.)

I own an old Toshiba w/300 celeron and it runs win2k flawlessly. All ACPI functions work without a hitch. Toshiba and Microsoft tested Win2k on their machines, therefore I recomend one of their laptops if you are going to be running Win2k. Just make sure you have at least 128MB Ram. I am using 160 and it runs games ok as well, and I only have 2MB video memory. 1 thing I don't like is the accupoint pointer on the keyboard.