Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrSchmoe

Piracy...

I'll admit also that I do have a copy of Win2k thats not legit but i also have a copy(legit as a gift) that is(really bad condition(newbie who knew not the power of NT)) so I prefer to use the better version wink .

I do feel bad sometimes using pirated software (im an OS freak)

In pirated versions I have all version of windows except the buck stops at win2k pro. I dont have 2k server or advanced server(I dont find any reason why I really should). I don't have legit copies of win95a and niether ME(ME is currently crucified on a cross nearby(yes im talking about the non-legit copy thats how much I hate it). But i have bought all versions of windows within a year of being realeased except 95(2 years). Im the type of person that "if I could afford it id buy it" , but dont get me wrong, if I had the money and money was no object id gladly buy all my friends software without hesitation...hell I would not mind buying you guys without legit copies the real deal.

I'll make a copy of my games for my other machine, as I see no good reason to buy two copies of the same software. Of course, you'll understand why I despise the XP activation. I have gotten a leagal copy of Office 2k for cheap student discounts ($10USD, NO KIDDING!)and hopefully I can snag Win2k so I don't have to use my dad's copy anymore.

Looking at piracy as a whole, there are the "pirates" and the software owners. Like any owner, the software owners don't appreciate having there things taken without asking, and especially if they are losing profit. I would be pretty pissed myself if someone stole my stuff and then sold it to someone else, or even gave it away, that's still my stuff, not his. I do wish that this product activation would not restrict the use to one pc; I was thinking 2 or 3 max.

Some software is really pricy, especially, as pointed out before, Windows. I'm sorry, but MS does not need to release an OS every year. Why? There really is no overwhelming threat to Windows on the home desktop, unless you count the Mac, but that is really harmless. Linux is cool, but I don't see it being the home desktop OS for the foreseeable future, unless some massive changes are put up. Of course it's not just Windows either that's expensive, a lot of software is expensive, some of it, like Photoshop, are deserving of the expense, but I really question it when programs cost an arm and a leg.

Software vendors are well within their rights to go after pirates, so long as the legitimate customers don't get bit by the policy.

I go to the local stores and get my software, so I have no problems with piracy.

Here's my opinion. If its a home user who cares if they priate software. For example I downloaded a pirated version of Win2K Advanced Server... why? Cause I wanted to see what it was like. I nuked after about a week. I don't know about you but i'm not gonna fork out tons of cash just to "see what an OS is like". You may say "there's hardly any difference blah blah blah so there's no reason to pirate it". How was I suppose to know this until I installed it? Next thing, MS isn't gonna care if some Johnny Nogood downloads a pirated copy of a major server OS for limited home use. MS won't waste their time or resources. They people MS go after are big business's using illegal OS's to make their business run better and also those people who make a profit by selling pirated software (ie Telecommander in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada).