Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dredd

How do u copyright your website?

I was just wanting to know what steps I need to take to get my website copyrighted. any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Damon

Easy. You add the text

© 2000 by DreddCorp. All rights reserved.

or similar. What you do if someone violates your copyright is somewhat more complicated.

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

Where do you go to actually copyright it with the US Gov't? And what forms do you fill out. They seem to have quite a few to choose from.

basically all you can do is put the Text in that YuppieScum told you, there's no need to copyright it when you won't even care about in a year or two.

As soon as you put something in a tangible form, you have a copyright on it. Putting a copyright notice at the bottom of you page does not grant you additional rights--but you might want to do it anyway to "warn" the ill- or misinformed (such as EddiE314).

In the "old" days people had the ability to make a copy of their work (um...as they owned the copyright), and send it to themselves via registered mail. Upon receipt of their own package, they wouldn't open it, but store it in a safe place and let the judge open it if necessary.

In digital media, such verification us much more difficult. However, with PGP or a Verisign Digital Class 1 Personal Certificate ($15/year), you have the option of storing a copy of your work with an unalterable timestamp. You might want to make this copy an actual off-site backup.

Syncope - i'm misinformed? I think not. I never told him not to put the text on his site. If he wants to spend $$ to copyright his site, by all means, go ahead. But i can assure you he will not care about it in a year or two.

You said there's no need to copyright the site, when, in fact, its actual existance already constitutes a copyright.

true, i put ©2000 EddiE314 on mine, but thats just for the he11 of it. Does this guy mean © the graphics too? I guess you could use Digimarc for that, but thats if he wants to pay.

Eddie, you've posted three times in this thread. However, each post you made states that you have a total of 292 posts, instead of going up by increments of one. I smell a copyright infringment, and you are going to get sued by Sesame Street the next time their show is brought to us by the number 292.

Ok...i hope I can help clear this up a little bit...

In the old days the whole mailing yourself a copy trick (although widley used) was not actually a VIABLE form of copyright. It would work in most courts, but it could be disputed. The only ways to get a LEGIT copyright now is to send a COPY of the original in its BEST form to the copyright office and pay them the fee...

As for digital internet based documents...

public domain. That is the best argument available. Images are another story, as they can be copied and sent (as a print out) to a copyright office. A web page however can not. A name yes, content, no..

sucks doesnt it?

The point is anyone can sue anyone at any time for any reason, weather or not your going to win is another story.

The net is not a secure place to post anything sacred, just be carefull what you post, and everyone will be happy...

--Now inc

------------------

Now inc.

http://www.now-incorporated.com