Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SlaveDog

Restoring registry from repair console

Hi All,

Can someone tell me how to restore registry files in the repair console?

I selected ACPI and no my system won't boot, won't load last known good

config, and won't go into safe mode.

I backed up my registry before I did it but I can't figure out how to

restore it now.

Thanks

------------------

SlaveDog

freeman@primenet.com

Easist I found was to have windows do it for me instead of trying to do it through the Console and it worked fine for me. then after rebooting to W2K just restore your previous registy that you saved before the problem occured.

------------------

DarkWolf

As I walk through the Darkness and the Shadows of the Night, you should be wary as you are never out of my sight.

DOH!

SlaveDog, you've f u c k e d up your system!

Repairing the registry won't help because Win2k overwrote some of its HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) files with the corresponding ACPI versions.

You might be able to get your system running again by copying exactly these files from the Win2k CD to your system, but I do not know what files these are.

MS explicitly warns from changing from APM to ACPI or vice versa in Device Manager. The only working way is to install "over" the existing installation and choose another mode during the installation by pressing F5 when it says "Press F6 to..." at the very beginning of the installation.

Sorry to having to tell you that, but you need to totally reinstall Win2k. You can't even install it "over" the current installation, because for that you would need to start the installation from within that installation. frown

nova.

[This message has been edited by nova (edited 16 March 2000).]