Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nsnotling

Piracy, 2

I am a true ms pirate and i like it ,i don't want ms software because of the price ( and with that i mean software AND hardware price) take win2k for example you NEED 128 mb memory if you just want to write a letter and lets not start to talk about processors, 3d cards and hardrives ( you know all those cool effects the new voodoo and nvidia cards do , we did them on a 386 running dos just by optimizing the code ) . I won't buy anything made by ms.

I have a bought my linux and when a new version of linux comes out i will buy it too , all my other software is payed for too , but it "needs" ms crap so thats why i pirate my copy and i it may help bringing ms down !!

By the way win2k is not good it's slow and cannot be serviced easily .

And it still has to reboot to often , when i install drivers for my soundcard it wants to reboot , damn it has been there all the time

I'm not a pirate. I generally pay for all of my games and consumer targeted products. That includes Win98

I haven't paid for Win2K pro, Outlook, Office etc. Why? Because the pricing is based on a coporate sales model which I am not part of. I don't use Win2K pro, Outlook, or Office for any professional use (at home). In fact I hardly use them at all.

From what I've seen corporate customers pay HUGE sums of money to Microsoft for liscenses to these products. That's where MS makes their money.

BTW I have paid for MS Software... like Age of Empires II. I did this because it was targeted toward a home consumer (their profit source for the product) and didn't cost $200-$500.

Tony

I find it quite interesting that in both of these conversations, everyone who has justified piracy has done so by saying the price is simply too high. And that is supposed to make it allright? While I fully agree that the prices for software, especialy MS's products are a bit over priced at times. Just because you dont feel right paying 200$ + for an OS doesnt give you the right to pirate it. There are plenty of free options availabe, such as linux and soon BeOS will be free as well. While they may not suit your needs to play games, windows98 will, and that is much more reasonably priced then 2k is. As for the other new functions in 2k, I know for a fact that most of the critical ones are available for linux for free. I dont know about BeOS, because I have not tried it yet. </rant>

just my .02$

When I coudlnt afford to buy the software I wouldpirate it, now I can afford some so I buy some, especially games that I support like UT and q3a.

NOw I gotta be honest, I won a copy of 2k, but if I hadnt won a copy of win2k and b/c I am a beta tester I woulda just used the last build instead of paying some 200 dollars. Plus knowing the exorbint amount MS makes and has bothers me, Im no capitalist, but there are limits, just like the prices of p3's compared to celerons bother me. Obviously they over charge with p3's.

And yes I know the larger amounts of cache cost extra, compared to the 1/4th which the cellery holds, but that is faster cache, and there are all kidns of things, but over all P3's are OVER PRICED

I purchased my copy of W2K far less than $200.00 and it is not an upgrade. It is however OEM wich simply means MS gives no support what so ever but lets face it what support do you really get .... For the common tweaky out there know more than any level one tech at MS and most level two.. I know been down that road With 95 and 98 and have to reverse engineer an after market SCSI driver to work with both OS. But MS got it right in W2K and they work fantastic.

Hey lets face it I am no MS fan but there OS work better for games than anyone out there hands down. Yes I think $200 is too high for W2K _ell what I paid was too high but the fact is I wanted it, I use it, And you bet my 17 year old son is not going to see his father brake the law by pirating MS or anyone elses software. If you use it pay for it. how would you feel if you had your car for sale in front of your house and someone in the middle of the night broke in and stole it just because you asked to much for it. Far off base you say..... Is it

Regards

Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by tony1c:
I'm not a pirate. I generally pay for all of my games and consumer targeted products. That includes Win98

I haven't paid for Win2K pro, Outlook, Office etc.

Tony.. You're screwed up.. You have installed and used a piece of software that you did not pay for.(your w2k outlook and office). You ARE A PIRATE!!!!!

It's funny how people rationalize their own crimes these days. At least nsnotling had the balls to admit it(and be proud of it).

Hmmmmm. . . . Looks like "piracy" has really hurt MS. Sales of 2K are higher than expected. My copy didn't hurt MS. smile

Edited because:

This piracy crap is way off topic. is useless, and well, my deleted post just added to the fire so I decided to kill it. Blah. let's talk about tnt2 problems!! ..

mr_yellow

[This message has been edited by mr_yellow (edited 05 March 2000).]

you guys are pricks, If I Wasnt drunk Id really say some bsad stuff.

"It's funny how people rationalize their own crimes these days"

**** you man, so ur saying if somebody does something wrong and has no intention of doing the right hting ever that makes it good? u fing moron, how stupid is that? there should be a minmum IQ requirement for being able to use these Forums, and Yellow ur the one thats screwed up not tony.

At least Tony such as myself pay for most of what we use, but nsnotling doesnt.

ANd nsnotling, wtf are 3u pyaing for? linuz is freeware, why in gods name would u pay for it? The peopel where baffle me, which linux are u runing, and what build? also the kernel version??

Tony, wtf does Serviced easily mean? what u wanna give it a lube job or something, if ur gonan criticizse something at least tell us why?

I have to laugh when I see a post like this. It's just made to start arguments. It's not like anyone is going to change their mind either way on priacy. If someone wants to pirate software they will find a good excuse.... at least in their own minds.

As for problems with Windows 2000, I've been running it for some time now on several systems and have only encountered minor problems. I also have run Linux and had minor problems with it. When Linux can run all the software that Windows can run, I'll consider switching to it. No matter how stable the OS, it's useless unless it runs the applications you wish to use.

Best

Shad0Hawk

Sorry, but i couldn't resist..

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyK:

**** you man, so ur saying if somebody does something wrong and has no intention of doing the right hting ever that makes it good? u fing moron, how stupid is that?

I don't know where the hell you interpreted "if somebody does something wrong and has no intention of doing the right thing ever, that makes it good." from my comments.

I was pointing out the fact that Tony is *bad*. He's a PIRATE! like i stated in the previous post. He's just *extra bad* cause he doesn't claim to be!! nsnotling is *bad* Too! but at least he knows it! Duh! That's my bloody point!

Edit: Just so you don't get confused, my stance is Pirating=Crime=Bad. Duh.

[This message has been edited by mr_yellow (edited 05 March 2000).]

Pirating is not a simple to steel or not ot stel issue. Just read the bloody EULA, you are not even owning the stupid software, company has only generously granted you a license to use it.

There is also an argument that prices are high because pirates are taken in account. Then companies go ahead and still claim losses due to the software piracy. There is a lack of integrity on both sides of the fence.

Then there are those stupid nagg screens for a shareware which I will pay if it proves to be truly useful, such as Powerdesk or Getright, et. However I will not put up with those you have so many days left please register naggs. I get enough naggs from purchased software as it is.

Etc, etc, etc.

First off let me state that I don't believe in Piracy. It is wrong no matter what way you look at it. Everyone has done is. How many of you or your family members have VHS movies that are copied? Or CD's that are copied or audio cassettes? People don't look at this as being wrong but it is the same thing. Go rent a movie and record it and bring it back.

My second point is I think companys that make hardware love computer software piracy. People that steal software on the internet usually have the best computers because they are always upgrading to run the latest software and games they normally would not have purchased.

Just my thoughts.

I cannot say Piracy is o.k but the fact is nearly everyone does it say a neighbour buys a new PC with windows 98 installed on it, and next door go around and see this PC oh they say (it is a nice story bare with me) you have got windows 98 can we pls borrow it to put on our computer, of course you can they say, so there you have it a ordinary family have committed Piracy they have broke the law whether they just lend it out or copy it same thing they are criminals who cares Microsoft have bigger fish to fry like multi million dollar companys ripping Microsoft off for £1000's of pounds they dont really care about this. Well i actually downloaded windows 2000 FINAL from the net but now i have actually brought it o.k i have not paid £400 etc for it i paid £99 and yes it is all above board manuals authenticity etc got it from a mate with his own computer business and it is the FULL 1 not the upgrade so there you have it we are all criminals oh yeah i have made 3 or 4 copies of it already but hey who cares!

------------------

MAC