Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Twinbee

Should I move to Win2k?

Hi!

I've got a P166-mmx, 4.3Gb HDD and 64MB or RAM, and I'm currently running NT4.0 which is wonderful, it's a little slow starting up, but it's much better than Win 9x, and I don't get crashes smile

Now.. Being a techie freak, albeit a techie freak without much money, I noticed MS' bargain deal for students who want Win2k... I'm wondering what everyones thoughts are and should I upgrade? My current machine compiles MS Visual C++ and PlayStation programs, I also do some graphics editing and the internet stuff. smile I know that all my hardware will be well supported too,( that's the adveantage of having old stuff ;))

So, what do you guys think? I'd like to try it out... :))

It's really hard to say. I mean it's like setting a friend up on a blind date with someone. My suggestion is since your using NT 4 it won't be a huge jump to you compared to people that use Win9X all day. Chances are if you like NT 4 you'll like Win2K but the only way to know is to try it out.

Ive been using NT since 3.1 for my development environment, and it just keeps getting better. I'd recommend going for it, but MS have a tool to check your machine for "worthyness" - go for that first.

Also, check www.pricewatch.com for memory as a 128Mb PC100 stick is now $64 - you can't make a better investment for your machine as it is...

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

I dont really think that you should switch man win2k is buggy and has lots of incompatilities you might have upgrade.

you should have at least a 350mhz and 128mb ram and a nvidia card because they actually have drivers for their cards unlike f*cking 3dfx.Anyways its just my opinion.

Well.. I took the plunge and borrowed a copy of Win 2K from a friend (hey, I know it's cheap for us students, but I thought I might as well evaluate it!)

My thoughts.. "Good God!" Running the same applications with the same version of IE5, as I had with NT4 proves too much of a strain for my machine - my current swapfile is 94Mb big with no apps loaded (I've had to set it to a maximum of 180Mb), but under NT4 my swapfile was on average 45Mb and it was set to a maximum of 90Mb...

It's safe to say that I'm not very impressed with it's performance, and I will be reverting back to NT4 ASAP. It looks wonderful, and has lots of useful features, but surely MS should go to the more modular approach that Linux offers - I'd like options to remove some of the crud tht I wouldn't use, Win 2K setup gave no options and installed crud that I wouldn't use...

Hmm.. Win 2K - such a dissapointment, I was really excited about installing it earlier..

I wouldn't write it of so quickly. You're best bet would probably be to revert back to NT 4 until you purchase a faster system.

Windows 2000 has many advantages, but they won't be fully realized without a much faster computer. My base recommendation would be a PII 300 with at least 128MB RAM. My second system is a PII300-192MB RAM and the its been running great.

If the copy you borrowed is prerelease dont write it off yet. The betas sucked. The final product is great. Much more stable and compared to my nt servers its ALOT faster.

In my opinion smile