Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Philipp

Windows Millennium compatibility list?

I received the follow E-Mail:

Quote:
Just wondering if you are going to start covering windows millenium beta stuff ? Like wheather certain games and program and hardare work ?? Just a thought there is a large amount of people out there that have Millenium, If you are an MCSE you should have just received Millenium from Microsoft in you technet update for December.

What do you think?

I have it but I haven't installed it. I was gonna clean the entire system when i get a day off and install millenium and RC3 from scratch. I think it would be a good thing to have more info here on it.

Im my opinion Millennium is a big waste of time. I have been a beta tester since day 1 with it, and do not see why Microsoft would produce another Win9x os. They should put their efforts towards Win2000. After comparing Windows 2000 and Millennium, Win2k wins the race in stability and ease of use. If they drop the Win9x platform it will force hardware and software manufacturers to make their stuff work with the NT platform. Millennium is just another addon to the Win95 --> Win98 OS.

This is just my view. I think the industry should go towards NT and leave 9x for good!

Check out winmag.com they have a few tid bits on millennium and turns they have actually changed a lot of things with it over win98 for stability as well. Mostly registry stuff. I have also read a few reviews lately (forgot where) and they bench mark a whole bunch of video cards , different resolutions and OS's Win98, Wint NT 4.0, Win2000, and windows Millennium. Guess which one had the highest performance marks ??? Millennium beat all other system when it comes to games, I have not seen any reviews on productivity software running on varous OS's but it looks to be very interesting so far. As well this is a beta OS things can only get better. Sometimes the difference between win 98 and Millennium was 10-20 fps ?? That is a big difference I'll try to track down where I found these bench marks and post them.

TheAnvil

http://2cpu.com/Games/q3tnt2gf.htm

Here are those benchmarks I was talking about, check out the Millennium BETA 1 results at high resolutions and 32 bit very nice. I was acutally wrong they don't list win98 but it would be interesting if they did I have requested that they run some and we can see.

The only thing that kicks crazy ass is dual processors on NT.

I visit the NT Compatible site to find information about Windows NT (and now Windows 2000) compatibility.

A lot of other Web sites cover Windows 95/98/Millenium pretty well.

A separate but linked Millenium-only beta site would be somewhat useful.

No games are currently optimized for win2k, so it's too early benchmarking. Millennium is win98 patched up with new features (hence more unstable) and carries on what current games have been optimized for. However, when win2k gets released and developers start using it (many have already), games will get optimized and eventually faster on it than millennium.

Since display drivers are less mature yet, the speed up is mostly noticable in game loading time.

Please no Windows Millenium frown.gif. I tried it last week and it was crap.

Those who buys this product (which is Windows 98 with Windows 2000 icons, Windows 98 sounds, MS-DOS 8.0 and IE 5.5) needs no support.

Christian

Well let me tell you something. Ive been testing Millennium since Developers Release (Im a MS beta tester)and i must say that MS have done a great job with this OS.

Do you know why their making this built?

Answer:Most users CANT HANDLE NT. so MS said.

This OS is pretty stable and faster than any other Win9x Version. It boots in less than 40 seconds, ICS pretty easy to setup, NO REAL DOS MODE SUPPORT (Thats why it goes faster) and a bunch of stuff that has made it very quick and stable.

Now we are in Beta2 stage and is pretty stable with minor bugs.

This built is made just for home use (Windows 2000 is not address for Home Users)for gameing and multimedia stuff.

Lets wait until Windows "Neptune" hits the street on 2001. This is s whole OS. Windows 2000 and Millennium fusion=Windows Neptune.

So i dont have to explain what this OS is all about. You do the numbers.