Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JBoDEAN

Computer Start Up Error, Please Help

Seems like since I followed TimmyC's registry tweak for my geforce, anytime I turn off my computer now, and start it back up, I get One long beep, and 3 or 4 short beeps (Abit BE6 mb, Geforce 2 mx prophet video card). No idea why. Both manuals dont have any info on this. I am wondering, if disabling any of these is causing the problem, because I disabled these in the bios:

Video BIOS cacheable

Video BIOS shadow

VGA Palette Snoop

PCI Palette Snoop

C8xxxx-CBxxxx Shadow

Any ideas? I have a 300 W power supply, and if i RESTART the computer, this doesn't happen. But i turn off my computer at night, and in the morning, i experience this. I have a Sony E400 monitor, and it says Monitor is in Power Save mode when I start up, and after I hear the beeps =(

Set them back the way they were, and then change them one at a time. However, those changes will probably not give you much of a performance change anyway. Now, as far as why you don't hear the beeping at restart; this is because on a warm boot (restart) your system skips parts of the POST (Power On Self Test) process, and thus isn't having issues with these settings. One (or more) of those changes is/are upsetting the video card and/or motherboard. I would just set them back the way they were and not worry about it.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Thanks. You have heard of issues with these settings causing these problems?

BTW- I am not sure if I will be able to get into the bios. I will try tonight, but as far as these two past mornings, It bootsup, screen is black / in standby mode....I wonder if Delete will even bring the bios up.

If it doesn't what do you suggest?

Well, worse comes to worse you could just reset the BIOS. There may be a jumper to reset it, or you could just take out the battery for a minute or so.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

What is the possibility if I dont see a display when booting up the computer, that hitting delete will get me into the bios?

Also, any idea which one of those options I disabled coudl be causing the problem? I will reset them all back to enabled, but wondering if you ever experienced / or seen this before.

I would imagine that you could get in, if that was the key that let you in to begin with. I would just hit it repeatedly during initial boot.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Thanks for the help clutch. Hoping for success after work today with fixing this. I wonder if this issue is causing my winme to freeze on occasion. I wonder which one of these settings is causing the hangup. Never heard of this before.