Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imtim83

Hard Drives!

IBM HDs are the fastest IDE hard drives all around right?

but do you notice the speed difference from let say a maxtor or western digital you buy? and by how much do you notice the speed difference if any?

like lets say a 30 gig IBM 75 gxp 7200 rpm ATA 100 2MB buffer, maxtor 30 gig 7200 rpm ATA 100 2MB buffer , Western Digital 30 gig 7200 rpm ATA 100 2MB buffer what would be the fastest , one in the middle and the slowest also which one would get more hotter and make more noise , etc

P.S. i know i can get OEM ibm 30 gig 75 gxp as cheap as a maxtor or WD hard drive and it comes with 3 year warranty i think but i sorta want to buy a ibm 30 75gxp HD off of www.ibm.com the retail one to make sure i get my 3 year warranty and everything but not sure what to do yet)

please reply

thanks

I posted some stuff in the post about bad IBM hard drives but I'll give you some info of what I know. This info is just what I got off of a PC World mag issue. In the 5400 RPM hdd's the IBM's got smoked horribly by the Maxtor's and WD's although the WD's Protege drives had limited support.

In the 7200RPM category, the Maxtors and IBM's were almost neck in neck with the IBM's a little faster by a few seconds, and that probably wont be noticeable.

I would personally go for capacity over RPM. 7200 RPM is very nice, but from what I understand some apps/games in general dont really depend on the hard drive once the program is loaded, but on how much ram youve got.

Ive never used an IBM drive before, so I cant recommend them. Both WD's and Maxtors are solid drives. Nothing against IBM, but they are a tad more expensive than I want to spend in comparison. Ive yet to see a WD drive go bad. Maxtor's partitioning utility is great cause it uses a GUI with a mouse.

I understand that IBM is the pinnicle of hard drives the way people talk about them, but I wont recommend something I havent tried out yet.

Ive noticed that the Maxtor drives are very, very quiet. It took me awhile to get used to not hearing my other hard drive a WD.

Im not sure about heat, but I guess that the 7200-RPM drives would be hotter than the 5400-RPM drives, just because of speed.

so you would recommend a maxtor or no.?

and where was that benchmark thingy where maxtor and ibm was close to neck to neck cause i want to look at it please

btw does maxtor sell a 30 gig 7200 rpm ATA 100 ? and does the seek time that ibm has 8.5 ms from the maxtor 9.0 ms a big difference too ?

please reply

thanks

I would go with Maxtor just because, so far, theyve run flawlessly, but I think the best thing is them being so quiet.

For the hdd benchmarks, look around at http://www.pcworld.com for that article. I have the subscription. It was in the March 2001 issue, so you probably will be able to find it easily. Or you might see if you can still pick up the issue on stands.

ok thanks i will get a maxtor diamondmax plus i think since its got ATA 100 and 7200 rpm and that < 9.0 seek time!

There will always be different opinions about Hard Drives.

If you had asked my 2 years ago I would have said that Quantum were the best you could get, the Quantum Fireball's were the fastest drives on the market, all 2GB of them.

From a personal view I simply wont touch Maxtor.

Why?

Because 3 failures in a 6 month period was too many.

With IBM's showing better performance and certainly in my eyes better reliability (No failures in the 3 I have or the 25 or so in work PC's) and not being that much more expensive it seems a logic choice.

But as I said at the beginning, everone has their own opinions.

Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA 100 15Gig Drive:

Read max 23272 kB/sec

Read average 22319 kB/sec

Read min 18892 kB/sec

Write max 46545 kB/sec

Write average 40602 kB/sec

CPU usage 3 percent

Is the maxtor 60 gig HD 20 gig platters 7200 rpm ATA 100 and < 8.7 ms seek time a lot noticeable faster than the 45 gig 15 gig platter 7200 rpm ATA 100 and < 8.7 ms seek time?

i saw on benchmarks the beginning transfer seems somewhat faster from 32 to 38 and end 21 to 22 MB .

btw would the 20 gig platter 40 gig HD be faster then the 45 gig one?

please reply

thanks