Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Zamarocy

Santa Cruz FAQ sounds interesting, BUT . . . .

I was ALMOST ready to go out and get one to replace my crap LIVE! card until I read that to get rid of the junk CL drivers, I'd have to completely reinstall the entire Win2000 all over again (FRESH). OUCH!!!!! #$#@$%@#

No way do I want to go through all that again. I still haven't even ported fully over my WIN98 system. Do I want to be set back months again? No way. Does anyone have any better ideas? Or anyone made a CL uninstaller simlilar to what is out there to get rid of DX???

If you can find one, get a Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo. Its probably not quite on par with an SB card, but it works right out of the box with no drivers. Thats probably the best alternative.

Now, hearing all these problems with SB Live cards make me really glad I didnt go for one of those cards.

I dont know about the Maxi Sound Muse though, but its like $30, so you could also consider that one, but I dont know how good it is.

Well ive been using the Philips Acoustic Edge for quite some time now and ive been quite happy...i got my friend to go out and buy one and hes been pleased also. Win2k drivers from the cd work great. as for the CL drivers youve got me their I stayed away from SB series because of the probs everybody has talked about.

I had no problem just swapping out my SB Live! card with a Santa Cruz. The only thing I had to do was go to Add/Remove Hardware and remove the hidden devices related to it.

I have a SantaCruz the only problems ive had with it are in WinXP and i suppose this is related to Direct X 8 (yes their drivers don't support DX 8 yet) but i found a work around for it that does what i need it to. Other than that small driver problem in XP i have found the card to be great otherwise. A3d support, EAX 1.0 and 2.0 support also. Not to mention the VersaJack which will allow another set of speakers which is 6 speakers compared to the 4 you are allowed on the Live! cards. Or you can turn the jack to a digital out port or an analog line-in.