Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anak1

Detonator Driver Update Procedure

I feel utterly retarded asking for this, but does anyone have a specific procedure for up[censored] detonator drivers under Win2K that won't produce the "System cannot find a specified file" crap? One thing I miss about 98SE was the lack of driver problems I had. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

Windows 2000 Service Pack 1

P3 800EB

Abit VH6(Pro133A)

320MB PC133

SB Live!

Asus V7700 Geforce2 GTS

3Com EtherLink III ISA

Its looking for an INF file. Check the radio button that says something like Show All Types of Hardware. Then you should be able to tell it exactly where you unpacked it too.

You DID unpack the driver...

The file might also be found in \winnt\system32..or \winnt, its always an idea to search these 2 locations if it cannot find the file on its own.

I got sick of that same problem with my GeForce2 MX. My solution? Ditch it to the kids computer running Win98SE and get a Radeon. No more driver problems with the GeForce. Of course, the Radeon is different. No driver updates as such anyway so I may have the same troubles if/when there are new drivers for it.

Ed

Hi, firstly you must uninstall the nvidia's drivers under add/remove programs, unless you are using the one that came with win2k, then unzipped the new ones, doesn't really matter which way round you do this. Then goto the display properties and click on update drivers, then next but before you click on next again make sure that display a list of the known drivers for this device is selected. Click on next again then make sure that nothing else aside from 'specify a location' has a tick next to it and click on next again, browse to the location where you unzipped the new drivers to and select the folder and then the inf driver that appears. All you have to do then is follow through either clicking on next or yes and then finish, it will then close down the properties and you should be asked to re-boot. If that is what you've been doing then I can't help you any further....

Chris

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EM:
I got sick of that same problem with my GeForce2 MX. My solution? Ditch it to the kids computer running Win98SE and get a Radeon. No more driver problems with the GeForce. Of course, the Radeon is different. No driver updates as such anyway so I may have the same troubles if/when there are new drivers for it.

Ed
</font>

Ok??? Am I reading that right? You got rid of your Nvidia card in favor of an ATI card because you where having drivers problems and where to lazy to figuire it out.

You need help...

hehe

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ronin:
Ok??? Am I reading that right? You got rid of your Nvidia card in favor of an ATI card because you where having drivers problems and where to lazy to figuire it out.

You need help...

hehe
</font>

Actually didn't get rid of it, jsut moved it to a different machine. I have tried most everything that anyone said to try in order to update the drivers on my machine but inevitably ended up with the same error as the anak1, "sytem cannot find a specified file" which is a pile of brown stuff. I got tired of reinstalling everything just to try out a supposedly updated driver. Seemed like less of a hassle to replace my kids TNT2 with the GeForce2 so that they had better performance. Always need to upgrade something. smile Keeps the kids happy, no driver issues for me so everyone is happy.

Ed

Of course I unpacked the driver:P

Thanks cuke but that is the procedure I have been following and it produces the same retarded error message.

Gonna try and del nv*.* from windows system32 dir.

------------------

Windows 2000 Service Pack 1

P3 800EB

Abit VH6(Pro133A)

320MB PC133

SB Live!

Asus V7700 Geforce2 GTS

3Com EtherLink III ISA

[This message has been edited by anak1 (edited 23 March 2001).]

ATI needs some serious work on their drivers. I wouldve gotten the Raedon 32 DDR, but the drivers were so horrible, I said screw that and got a GF2 MX. nVidia has awesome drivers, even ones that arent official yet.

Sheesh guys, you don't even know how to install a simple thing like a driver, cant find an inf file, c'mon, if you can't do something like that, why are you even running an NT based OS? Get back to 9x, and I mean now.

the problem that you are explaining is due to a bad .inf file or that it is looking for the disks of the files. Also it has been mentioned that most of the time if you skip that file and just go on it should still work.