Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pijulius

SIS 7012 works, but on play it frozes

I tried to seach and find out, but i'm not to sure what you mean by "Rawhide" kernel.

I'm not sure what it is, or where to get it.

Is rawhide a different version of Redhat, or a different version of the kernel?

Or, is rawhide a site to get kernels from?

Sorry, but i guess i'm not as familiar as i thought with this linux stuff.

Stinger...

Not a problem Stinger, i'm sorry that i don't explain things very well.

Now: RawHide is the most updated redhat distribution (exp. epiphany released yesterday the 0.8.2 ver, and today you can download the rpm from the rawhide directory:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/ so this version of the redhat is the most updated) now the kernel packages are:

kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl.i686.rpm

where the i686/i386/athlon are the type of your processor. So, install a redhat9 and then download this kernel and install it with

rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl.i686.rpm

and run

lilo

and restart Your box, and select at the boot the new kernel, it will be called:

Kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1

i think. After this You sound card shold work, and the mouse too, but if not wait for the redhat 10 release x)

Remember: it is faster if You select a mirror and use that as to use the redhat ftp (ti is very busy) http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

Enjoy laugh

Installed the kernel but the X server wouldn't boot. It crashed with "Caught Signal 11" or something like that. I guess i'll have to wait for the new RedHat.

I left a 5 gig partition for dual booting windows so i'll stick with that for now.

Thanks for trying!!

Stinger.....

I got an empty hard drive and installed the redhat beta (severn), but sound still doesn't work.

Also, it still works fine in Windows.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Stinger....

I have just joined the forum. So, in case I make some mistake, please do't feel. I have also got the same sis7012 on board video controller. In my case, On Redhat 8, it plays sample sounds, it can play all real player files from the net, but it wo'nt play audio cds. We can see the lights flashing on the drive and counter movement on the screen, but without any sound. There is no internal cable problem as it is ok with xp. Please advise.