Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mickbench

CD-ROM fails to work in W2K

My CD-ROM Drive in Windows 2000 has ceased to work correctly.

I know the drive isn’t broken as it works fine in Windows NT4.0 (I dual boot)but in windows 2000 it just says in the Device Manager –

Device Status –

Your registry might be corrupt – code 19

The Drive has a yellow exclamation mark and refuses to work.

I have booted from Last Known Good Config. Didn’t work.

Tried using regedt32 and ensuring current control set is set for system full control. It is.

Even tried doing a full recovery install hasn’t worked.

I just can’t for the life of me get this drive to work any longer. It did work.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this with out having to re-install Windows 2000.

Thanks

Try resetting your BIOS to the original configuration. There should be some option like that in the exit menu if its a Phoenix-style bios, or on the main menu if its an Award-style bios.

If possible, test the cd rom on another computer to see if the drive went bad.

Check the IDE cable used with the cd rom drive, as if somethings wrong with it or its not fully plugged in, problems could arise.

Besides swapping the drive into another computer, see if you can borrow the same drive from someone else and test it, to see if Windows doesnt like that drive in general, or you just have one bad drive.

If its a Memorex drive, though, its probably going on its way out.

Im also wondering if you couldve gotten a virus too. Make sure your antivirus is upto date and scan everything, especially the registry.

The CD-ROM works fine. It can even boot the Windows 2000 CD at start-up to let me do a repair installation.

It just will not work in Windows 2000.

I have Windows NT 4.0 installed and this O/S can use the drive with no problems.

Its something to do with the reg hives for the Control Sets.. I'm sure of it.. But how to fix it, I don't as yet know.

Thanks