Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
a_pagliano

Old SCSI card

I am just switched to Windows 2000. On my system I have an old Adaptec 1505 ISA SCSI Card. On my bios I reserved the IRQ11 to the ISA slot and the card in WinMe is working perfectly. Windows 2000 instead ignored completly the setup of the Bios and is using the IRQ11 for the soundblaster Live. Is there a way that I can make Windows 2000 respect the setup of the Bios?

Thank you for your help!

Andrea

Actual System configuration:

AMD Athlon 750 Mhz

128 mb Ram

Motherboard Abit KT7-100RAID

IBM Deskstar 45 GB (on ATA 100 controller)

Maxtor 15GB Ata33

CD-Rom kenwood 72X

CD-RW HP 9510

Voodoo 5 5500 AGP

Soundblaster Live!

Windows 2000 ignores the bios settings because it makes use of ACPI. It may be possible to make it take notice of the bios by installing making the operating system detect the system as Standard PC. If you do a forum search, you should be able to find details of how to do this. Does the SCSI card work okay? If so then leave it alone, if not them obviously you'll have to try the above.

Yes, leave IRQs alone unless you are having a problem. While you can change it to standard pc from acpi compliant pc, I didnt have any luck. When I changed it, windows didnt use my keyboard or mouse after it rebooted, so I had to reinstall frown

This IRQ thing is normal, leave it alone or have fun pulling your hair out.

I think you can remove the "/fastdetect" from boot.ini to make win2k leave IRQ's alone... you should only do this if you can't get it working any other way.

You may also want to try another IRQ for the scsi card, like 12.

the SCSI card is not working at all in Windows 2000, but I need it because I have my scanner and my zip disk connected to it.

Thank you for the help, anyway!

Andrea

I just installed an old Adaptec 1542 non PnP. I reserved IRQ 11 in the bios, and it works perfectly. When you install the card, you have to do it manually, IE it isn't detected. You have to select SCSI and RAID controllers, and then adaptec... The next part is important. Enter the IO range, I've got mine at 130-133, and set the DMA (5). These should come from the jumper/switches on the PCB. If the settings are not correct, the device will not be activated, and thus windows will use the IRQ for something else!