Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gambler FEX online

Game Theater XP problems

if I choose 5.1 speakers setup and test it, the sound is skipping a lot and crackling a little. In games, sounds are repeating, and there is no center/sub or even rear channels in some cases.

I have tried a lot of things, even re-installed windows 2000! SMP disabled, ACPI off, ive taken all cards out of the PC and same results.

Anybody familiar, or know a fix?

I am trying to review this card, and I really dont wanto leave the win2k page with "major problems, waiting for next drivers update?"

thanks

I have win2k and the Game theatre too.

When i first installed it on my one processor system, and i went to test the 5.1 surround or 4 surround modes, i would get a memory error, since then I have re-installed win2k, and then used the same drivers that came with it on the CD, and it works perfectly now, no problems!. You must have some problem with the two processors, but I have no clue about that stuff, cause i have never worked on an SMP system, but I am building one next that is for sure, but i will probably put an sblive in it, though people have probs with that too in SMP systems.

I mostly play Counter-Strike with it, with EAX turned on, it soundz awesome! I am using an Abit BXR6-2, newest BIOS, and a Pentium III 800mhz processor, not overclocked at all, 128 megs ram, all scsi system, win2k w/SP1 installed, no DX8 though

Thanks for the reply! Now I can maybe track it down by trying to install win2k withouth DX8, and boot it with only one CPU. Maybe there is some incompatibility with DX8 (the drivers where pherhaps developed on DX7).

Any other Game Theater users please post what games you play, what hardware you have and if any what problems.

BTW I am one of those having problems with SB Live + SMP frown

[This message has been edited by Gambler FEX online (edited 21 February 2001).]

I just built my smp system, two p3 500's, and i am using a sblive mp3+ with the win2k installed drivers only, and everything seems to be fine so far, what are your problems with it??

The win2k default installed drivers do work with SMP, even on my system with SCSI. However, they are very limited and if you go into Play properties, and choose options -> advanced controls an click the advanced button you will see the bass and treble sliders are all the way down.

Those drivers dont have any bass, and if you turn it up it crackles. Update with the live ware and you get good drivers, but most probably SMP problem.

strange, if i have ACPI PC my sound is fine, if i'm using Standard PC the sound has pops in it.

Well that is good to hear about the drivers for the sblive (because i thought about getting the new ones and now i will not), I will not upgrade until I hear that they have better smp support, but until then I can live with the default drivers, since this is only a server computer anyways, and I still have my other system for sweet 3D sound and such with the game theater XP. biggrin.gif

Update!

http://home.c2i.net/aka_mecha/gtreview/

I have sent the card back to the store and they will test it. I hope they find it is broken and send me a new one! Time will tell, I really really hope they find it broken, and it works as advertised when I get it back!

Yes, it's audio fidelity is really that mutch better then my reference x-Gamer 5.1

I have recently upgraded my PC to a 1.3 gig Athlon and added another 160 MB RAM, and now have constant problems with sound on my Game Theater XP. In WinME on the same computer all is fine, but Windows XP and 2K are not so good.

Before when I had 224 RAM the problems were only occasional, and went away as soon as they came. I read elsewhere on NT Compatible that its has to do with where the drivers are loaded. The problems I have certainly tie in with the memory problems. Maybe I'll try taking 128/256 out and see what happens.

Man you brought this thread back from the dead!

What specific problems do you have with the Game Theatre? Are you using the newest drivers available on the Hercules website?

You need to check out this Link

Probs with GTXP and XP with more than 256mb Ram.

New drivers coming out on the 25th October from hercules Here

Until then....

We will just sit here and see what happens (Kurt Russell [The Thing])