Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
whoisurdaddy

Abit KT7A + Win2k

I was wondering if anyone got Abit KT7A for their motherboard and running Win2k. I want to know if installing VIA 4-in-1 Driver is necessary. If so which version? I am building a new system right now: AMD Thunderbird 800 + Abit KT7A + 256 mb PC-133 and I am new to building AMD system and I don't know what kind of patch(es) I need to install. I am going to install Win2k on that machine.

Damn, I'm ordering the KT7A-RAID and a Tbrid 850 this weekend.

I haveheard that the latest 4-in-1s are not that great [.28 or .29a or something], so try to get a slightly older version. Or, just throw in the CD that came with the board and install those, they should have Win2K drivers.

-bZj

I am thinking about doing the same. Tbird+KT7a-Raid and am looking for the same kind of info. Best drivers, win2k installation tips, etc. This will be my first move away from Intel so I'm learning as I go. By the way, how did you guys decide what speed tbird to get? Do you overclock and if yes what speed do you plan on getting?

Well...this is not really my first Athlon system. My first one was Athlon-750 Slot A system which was really buggy. A friend of mine told me Slot A Athlon system are buggy so this time around, I got Socket version. But I sold that Slot A system last summer. I didn't really get to use that system at all. I couldn't get Win2k to install on it so I sold it to get my current PIII system now. PIII system will still be my main computer. I am building that Thunderbird 800 system as my "b*tch" computer. It is going to be a server computer that is going to share the monitor I have right now. Well, if Thunderbird is as stable as my PIII right now, I will also be moving to AMD system in the future. I bought 800 MHZ chip because I got a good deal on it and I am not planning to overclock it at all. Since 800 is more than enough for running a server. For RAID, my current PIII system's motherboard is Abit SA6R and it has 2 RAID channels and I am running RAID right now. Seems pretty stable in Win2k.

Well, I got my Thunderbird system going yesterday and so far it is 100% stable. I installed Win2k Server edition on it. In case if you want to know the spec here it is:

Abit KT7A

Thunderbird 800

Kingston 256 PC-133

Viper 770 Ultra

Linksys 10 Mbit

IBM 30 Gig

I decided on the 850MHz Tbird, b/c that is where the current price jump is: between 8xx and 9xx, $100 and $120 respectively. There should be a price drop coming on the 6th, when they release the 1.3, or the 266MHz 1.2 [don't rmember which], so I'm waiting till them to buy.

-bZj