Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
whoisurdaddy

Delayed Write Failed error

I am getting this "Delayed Write Failed" error from my Win2k Professional and I was wondering if you guys could help me with this. I noticed that I get this error message whenever I remove zip disk from my Iomega USB zip drive. The weird thing is I can't reproduce this error. It only does it once in awhile (like 1 in 7 times I eject the disk) but all the errors I got were after I press eject on the zip drive though. I found something on Microsoft's Knowledge based about this error but their link to the fix got me nowhere. They said something about changing the delayed write timing to longer value.

The problem is that Win2k doesn't always write immediately when you tell it to. It sounds like Win2k is waiting to write something to the disk, and you're ejecting it before it actually gets to write it. I think you can fix this by disabling the write cache on the zip drive. Find the zip drive in the device manager and see if there's a setting about write cache. If so, disable it, and see if that helps.

CuViper is correct, this is the cause of the error. i assume that you are ejecting the disk by pressing the eject button on the drive. However, if you want to leave the write cache on, you can avoid this error by right clicking on the zip drive icon, and selecting eject from the pop up menu.

Damien, I tried your method and I have tested the eject by using eject command instead of using eject button on the drive. So far I have ejected 15 times and I am not getting that Delayed Write error so far.

Good - you shouldn't get any problems using that method - as it acts as a software eject. As such, the operating system will ensure that all data is written to the device before the media is ejected.