Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
erichui

should i conver to NTFS?

hi, i've am using win2k pro with my ibm 45g 75gxp harddisk.

i currently have 3 partion, all fat 32, and they are

c: 26375mb

d: and e: 8784mb

i am thinking of coverting to NTFS, do u think it is worth?

( i don't mind of formating)

my system is currently dual boot with win2k and winme.

i am rarly using winme, only if there is problems with winme.

if i convert the win2k drive to NTFS, and have applications and things on

the NTFS drive, is it likely to increase my performance? is it noticeable?

and i just found out that the boot drive must be FAT for a dual boot, but doesn't matter

thx

eek.gifNO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave it as is! ME (and for that matter any of the Win9x line) CANNOT READ NTFS. I just read about some guy who had his Win2k partition NTFS and WinME as FAT32 and couldnt boot into ME. Unless you're gonna ditch ME, leave it as is. There is no reason, other than to frustrate yourself, to go over to NTFS. Leave it as FAT32. I dont use NTFS on my one pc solely running Win2k and it runs fine. If you still have dos apps you want to run, you'll have to use Win9x to run it to my knowledge. If you want to convert to NTFS,just wait till something goes really screwy with your system that causes you to reformat. Otherwise, just leave it. smile.gif

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian Frank:
[if you still have dos apps you want to run, you'll have to use Win9x to run it to my knowledge)[/b]</font>

Just being a DOS application has nothing to do with anything. Certain DOS apps do certain things, like directly access hardware, which is a no-no in Win2K...and in unadulterated WinME for that matter, two.

But even that's not always true. I still use a GWBASIC proggie that has no problems accessing LPT1 in Win2K and ME (it shouldn't), though it correctly would not work in NT4.

There are a various reasons, pro and con, for going with NTFS partitions. A search on the past few days posts will reveal most of them.

Brian Frank is correct in that you won't be view your NTFS partitions from within WinME.

If you do decide to go with NTFS, I'd stay away from Win2K's "CONVERT" utility that converts FAT partitions to NTFS. The problem I've found no work-around for, is that it defaults to 512 Byte sectors, which is way too small for my liking. And I tried Partition Magic 6.0's conversion applet too, which just uses Win2K's own CONVERT utility, and doesn't allow re-sizing the sectors.

If you do decide to go with NTFS, you might wish to do a destructive format and choose larger sector sizes, such as are typically assigned under FAT32.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. biggrin.gif

P.S. After 12 years of daily use, I just realized that a standard computer keyboard lacks the cents-sign, which most typewriters do have. wink.gif

------------------
"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999
"Talking to DeadCats is like talking to a dead cat." -MrsDeadCats, 2001

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 02 March 2001).]

Just for clarification.

Deadcats: I'm sure you know what you're doing; but just so someone not too proficient in file systems gets confused: A sector IS 512 bytes and you can't change that! What you meant to refer to is Cluster size, as in a 4k cluster is 8 sectors.

lol deadcats your right there is no cents sign =) its only an ascii character. We need to e-mail ISO and tell them to put a cents key on our keyboards laugh