Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
moray

bizarre modem problem - please help!

This is driving me nuts - I hope you guys can come up with something...!

I have installed the USR/3com 56k voice internal PCI modem into my Windows 2000 system. The modem was successfully recognised and the drivers which were supplied were loaded.

The modem is able to dial out. However the first 2 times I tried to dial my ISP it connected with reported rates of 28.8bps and 50.6bps. On both occasions the modem was unable to send or receive any data, it just sat there doing nothing. Subsequent attempts to connect stalled at the "verifying username and password" stage of connection. My details have not been changed as I was previously able to connect with an ISA sportster x2 flash upgraded to v.90 under NT4 and I have simply upgraded to Win 2000.

Using hyperterminal I was able to dial out using the PCI modem again, however about 5 seconds after connecting to a remote number it would autiomatically disconnect. Hyperterminal would display the message "busy". The "disconnect if idle" option is not selected in modem properties.

The modem seemed to install on COM3 and IRQ9 (which is shared with several other devices according to ACPI principles) but there is no conflict report. I manually changed the modem properties to COM2 but this made no difference. COM2 was not displayed as installed under Device Manager / Ports.

I am using the supplied cable and adapter to connect to my analogue phone line. The line is obviouly good enough to support a 3com modem as it was connecting every time without problems using my old sportster under NT4.

Do you have any advice?

Mabye your mobo/modem has ACPI issues? Try the modem in another computer to verify that the modem works. If so then flash your mobo's bios. Try again. If no go then reinstall the OS.

Thanks for the suggestion but it's a Dell dimension PC and the motherboard is flashed to the most recent BIOS.

There are no other indications of ACPI problems with the rest of the system.

Unfortunately I don't have access to another PC that I can start installing new hardware on.

I could understand if the modem wasn't recognised at all, or if it wasn't dialling out, but to have it dial successfully and just sit without sending or receiving is too much......

Check 3Com's site for a more recent driver. They had some issues with Windows 2000 when it first came out. The modem should have come with a setup wizard that will check their site for you.

make sure that microsoft client is checked in that dial up networking.

------------------

Celeron II 566@952 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH,

SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, Win98SE

Believe me there was no setup wizard. The CD interface was useless, as I said, no mention of drivers anywhere. I think it detects your OS and installs the appropriate drivers but there is no echoing of this so you are left in the dark as to what the hell's going on.

The driver on the CD is the most recent - it matches the one I downloaded fromt he 3Com website.

I will look at MS Client when I can next face trying to resolve this problem!!

After that monster post (sorry) you will be glad to know that I have finally sorted out my mystery problem. I still have no idea what was wrong.

I tweaked everything I possibly could 9steady...) and in the end took the last resort - reformated and reinstalled Win2000.

Modem now dials up and transmits data without problems except it seems to occasionally connect at 28.8k which it never did before.

Anyway, I am happy so smile for me!!

Just out of curiosity, did your IRQ change on the reinstallation? That was going to be my suggestion. If I recall correctly, IRQ 9 (could be another IRQ, but I'm pretty sure it's 9) is an ungrounded IRQ which causes problems with some devices. I had an issue before with my modem; it was always "in use" and couldn't be opened. I changed the IRQ from 9 to something else, and it worked. You might want to remember this for future reference (if I am remembering right myself), in case you add a card or something later and your modem's IRQ gets bumped...

I had already thought of that and tried to change the IRQ before without any success. It was on IRQ9 before (when it didn't work) and it is again installed on IRQ9 so there doesn't seem to be an issue there.

Well, I guess it's a good thing you found a method that worked before I posted my idea, then. I guess I didn't remember correctly, after all...

Yeah - except my "method" wasn't exactly sophisticated - I just reformatted my disk and reinstalled everything....!