Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Accord2k1

Voodoo 5 5500

I am looking for a decent video card and I found that I could buy this card for about $130 and that is for 64 MB Ram. Is this card stable under Windows 2000? I was going to pair this up with a KT7A Raid. I'm not a serious gamer, just need something to get me by a couple of games of Starcraft, RA2, and maybe CS. Thanks

I've got a couple friends that have that setup that are running 2k(and beta1 of Whistler). It works fine.

------------------

My PC is warm. I think our fire wall is acting up.

The card should work fine. But find out which one you will be getting. The retail version has TV-out. The OEM version does not. At $130 I'm sure it is the OEM version.

Also, since 3dFX is no more, there will be no support (ie. new drivers) for this card.

Games like Starcraft and RA2 are not nearly as graphics intensive as something like Quake III or Unreal. You may want to look into getting one of the 32MB GeForce cards. They will be more than adequate for what you are running.

Sorry, OLEerror, but the retail Voodoo 5 5500 does NOT have TV-out. laugh

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

"Talking to DeadCats is like talking to a dead cat." -MrsDeadCats, 2001

Despite being virtually non-existant right now, 3dfx cards seem to work well with just about every OS. Yeah, the V5 might not be as speedy as the GeForce 2, but I've never had problems running a 3dfx card. That V5 is a steal, man. The lowest Ive seen it is for $200.

Dead Cats is right, the V5 DOES NOT have video out, just one svga output. However, the V3 3000 AGP & V3 3500 (AGP) only have TV connections,but only the V3 has video out.

Yep, you're right. I thought it did. In fact, 3dFX's original specs called for it to have TV-out. And I've seen several places offering the card advertise TV-out. Like this one.

Oh well. The only one I have had a look at outside of the box was the OEM card. So I figured that was where the difference was. Evidently the only one that has anything besides SVGA support is the MAC version. It supports DIVX too.

Galiley

The Voodoo5 card is NOT slower in Windows 2000 than Windows 98/ME. That was the situation with the first couple of drivers but with the newest v1.04.00 WHQL the situation is just the opposite for me. I'm running Q3A 3% faster in Windows 2000.