Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kuchitree

Can you install windows 2000 ti dual boot with winme?

can you already have windows 2000 and make it dualboot with windows me without uninstalling win2000??

------------------

In order to do a dual boot with any win9x/2000 combo, your hard drive MUST be formatted to FAT32. If not this will almost certainly not work. Next, it is better to install win9x first, then win2k but you can still do a dual boot like that. Install ME on the partition you set aside for it. After that, run the win2k repair option off the setup CD. Once thats done--right click on MY COMPUTER/properties/advanced/starup and recovery (its at the bottom of the box). Then you can set the default boot OS and time till it boots to that OS.

NOTE: Ive only tested this with win98, but I got it out of an MS IT book. It should work, but I dont trust ME. The safest way is to do a clean install Win ME then 2000, but this ought to work.

To be more specific to the above suggestion, your 1st partition needs to be FAT. After that, you can format as desired [obviously 9x goes on FAT only].

-bZj

The only problem with Down8 solution is that since WinME can only read FAT partitions, anything you would have on your Win2k NTFS partition would be unreadable and you would have to have any info you wanted on the ME partition as well as your Win2k. Yes, you could boot into win2k and just drag the files over to ME, but when your in ME its just a pain in the neck.

And Ive just done an ME /2000 dual boot without doing a fresh install, just like I did with a Win98/2000, just boot off the Win2k cd rom and use the repair option and just do an automatic repair. I already listed the complete stuff in my first post on this topic.

My solution is to use NTFS for Win 98 in ME and then you can read and write to your NTFS Partitions as if they were FAT32. The only problem is that the NTFS for win98 program costs money (or time if you get it ***** like I did) there is however a similar free option. Sysinternals has a Free version of this utility that can only read from NTFS and it is available here http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Whistler Pro 2428

Windows Millennium Final Retail

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs Ram

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

2 x Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controlers

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse

MS Natural Keyboard Pro

And not a single piece of software that I actually own

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Four and Twenty:
(or time if you get it ***** like I did)</font>

Since when is WAR3Z a naughty word?