Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Accord2k1

Assemblying a computer

When you guys build your own computers do you buy all the parts at one time? Or piece them together one by one? As you can tell by my signature I still have a couple more parts left to buy. Case, video card, etc.

------------------

Not Finished Yet ETA 3/18/01

1 ghz Thunderbird

Abit KT7A-Raid

128 MB Crucial PC133 CL=2 7.5 NS

Pioneer 16x DVD

Plextor 12x/10x/32x CD-RW

Soundblaster Platinum 5.1

It just depends. If I find a lot of good deals I will just tend to buy everything at one time except for the monitor. I have a couple of 19" monitors lying around that I use as interim.

I have helped many other build computers and they were working with a budget and could only spend so much at any one given time. So I would have them buy parts in order to get them up and running as quickly as possible and then they could add pieces as the could afford them.

Most of the people that I build computers for kind of want them right away and they can't stand to wait a couple of weeks, or months for that matter, to get their computer. I am fortunate to have a couple of local computer places that sell parts very reasonable so I don't usually have to order on line.

Anyhoo...that is my 2 cents worth.

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

WD 20.5GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

Asus 50x CD-ROM

Sony 4x4x24 CD-RW

SB Live! Platinum 5.1

Razor Boomslang 2000 USB Mouse

Wacom 6x9 Intuous Art Tablet

SuperMicro SC-750A Case w/ 400 Watt PS

I tend to spec out all the individual components and get them as money allows.

My machine is now quite a reasonable spec, and I'm slowly upgrading components one at a time.

Once your machine is running it doesn't matter if you take 6 months to save up and get that quality wotsit that you've been after. The real pain is when you need to buy several things at the same time just to make it into a whole machine.

As for cases, I recently purchased a pre-moded GlobalWin 802 case. This beast has 6 fans in it (3 intake, 3 exhaust) and is nice and roomy to work with.

It sounds like a light aircraft when you first power it up, but you soon get used to the noise. The fans have made a massive difference to my temperatures though. Case temps are down by 14C and CPU temp by 10C.

Its best to get all your drives before you install Win2k because if you add new drives later, sometimes Win2k puts them in a really weird order. Get your video card too (duh) and monitor. Also Id strongly advise getting some more memory when you get a chance. 128 is good to get you going(the bare min you want to have running 2K)bump it up to at least 256. But youve got enough to get you running at a reasonable pace-so ram isn't really that important right now.

Running that T-Bird, get a good cooler, cuz those babies get really hot and adding an extra case fan wouldn't hurt either.

Sounds like youre coming along though.

Good luck

------------------

Whaazzzupppppppppp!

Asus A7V

Duron 600@680

384 MB SDRAM PC133@113MHz

Samsung 48x CD-ROM

Toshiba 12x DVD-ROM

Zip CD650 USB 4/4/6

Zip 100 USB

Maxtor 20.4 GB ATA100